• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless charging?

MagicMarker

Feb 18, 2011
UK
I use the LuguLake receiver and pad on my N3, and aside from the fact that I have to take the case off the phone to charge it, it's great. (Most receivers run about 600-700 mA, the LuguLake for the Note 3 runs 1,000 mA, so it charges faster.)

They haven't announced one for the S5 that I can find, but you can contact them and ask if they're planning to. (BTW, the one at Shoplocket is a preorder - that means that you'll have to wait for it too.)

Reactions: MagicMarker
Upvote 0
Reactions: MagicMarker
Upvote 0
That one's a good deal. Does it stop charging when the battery is full? Are you charging through a case? I read a thread about wireless charging for the HTC DNA and it worked through most cases. I'm hoping that's the case for the S5.

Seems to keep turning on and off to keep battery full...with phone turned on. I don't have a case for my S5 yet but same type of internal QI receiver and an Energizer charging pad work on my S4 with a Spigen Neo Hybrid case. A real thick case, like an OtterBox, may not work.

Upvote 0
Seems to keep turning on and off to keep battery full...with phone turned on. I don't have a case for my S5 yet but same type of internal QI receiver and an Energizer charging pad work on my S4 with a Spigen Neo Hybrid case. A real thick case, like an OtterBox, may not work.

Thanks for the info. Last question :) did it take 2-3 weeks to get like it says on the eBay page?

Upvote 0

Hey Magic... how do you like that case? I have that on my wish list (a red one) for my next case within a couple weeks. Just been waiting for someone that has one to do a review on it.
How is the fit?
Does it look as good as the advertised pics show?
Does it protect the S5 good?
To me, it would really improve the rather bland looks of the S5.

Yesterday I got the S-View Flip Cover... not that sure I like it yet...
The flip cover never stays closed on it and it takes getting use to using it with the flip cover open, kinda like a book. But it does protect the phone well. They are suppose to have the charing version of the flip case out pretty soon too:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EP-VG900BBUSTA

Upvote 0
So, these wireless chargers and receiver "pads" off of ebay and the like, do they void your warranty? What is the likelihood that they could damage or cause fire with the phone?
I have a wireless charger, from the Telephone Booth up here in Canada, Nokia one that was originally $80, they were clearing out for $30. I have tried clicking the link for the Samsung charging cover, but it brings me to Amazon.ca and not a page for that cover. How much is the one from Samsung?

Upvote 0
I've ordered the official Samsung cover from Amazon, but it's a months wait - fair enough I suppose. I'd rather not get one that could* damage my phone.

For the case, the Spigen case it does make the phone big which I'm not sure I like, as it's a big phone already. However, I would say it will protect the phone very well. I also have the red one.

The buttons are good, a metal cover (rather than a hole) and works well. A good case, but the only downside is it does make the phone seem a lot bigger.

Reactions: mcm180 and jack58
Upvote 0
Well, I've order this case:
SPIGEN [SLIM & PROTECTIVE CASE] Neo Hybrid Case SERIES 4 Samsung Galaxy S5 i9600

I just returned this case!

While I thought the case probably would do its job, it made the phone seem huge. It was uncomfortable to hold as the "band/bumper" is thick and all right angles. Not comfortable!

I use an Incipio case for my tablet so I ordered the Incipio Feather Shine Case.

It does make me a bit nervous to walk around with no case. Come on, FedEx!

Upvote 0
For the case, the Spigen case it does make the phone big which I'm not sure I like, as it's a big phone already. However, I would say it will protect the phone very well. I also have the red one.

The buttons are good, a metal cover (rather than a hole) and works well. A good case, but the only downside is it does make the phone seem a lot bigger.
See my comments above. The buttons are "metalized", whatever that means. Felt like plastic to me!

Upvote 0
That one's a good deal. Does it stop charging when the battery is full? Are you charging through a case? I read a thread about wireless charging for the HTC DNA and it worked through most cases. I'm hoping that's the case for the S5.
I believe that's a one amp charger. It charges more slowly and, depending on you case, you may need to remove it.

The Samsung pads are two amp. It can charge through a thicker case and charges faster.

I pre-ordered the Samsung Mini Pad and back cover.

Upvote 0
So, these wireless chargers and receiver "pads" off of ebay and the like, do they void your warranty? What is the likelihood that they could damage or cause fire with the phone?

Good questions. Has anyone reported that their phone was burned using a generic wireless charging kit? I followed a wireless charging thread for the Droid DNA for a long time and I never read of anyone having that problem. As to voiding the warranty it would be nice if we could find out. I guess it would be safer to use the Samsung branded back cover in that respect, but unfortunately it costs more than a generic kit that includes the receiver and the pad plus it's not available yet.

Upvote 0
I've ordered the official Samsung cover from Amazon, but it's a months wait - fair enough I suppose. I'd rather not get one that could* damage my phone.

I just returned this case!

While I thought the case probably would do its job, it made the phone seem huge. It was uncomfortable to hold as the "band/bumper" is thick and all right angles. Not comfortable!

Magic, Boomer....Other than too big... how was it? How'd it look? Great or Cheap? Flimsy or well made?

I don't mind big as I came from using a Note 2 with a case for a year and that is bigger. Didn't mind it at all. I want protection and good looks. I like Red and wish Samsung had the garnet red like they did before. I had one.

My S-View Flip cover looks rather bland even though it works for protecting it.

Upvote 0
Magic, Boomer....Other than too big... how was it? How'd it look? Great or Cheap? Flimsy or well made?

I don't mind big as I came from using a Note 2 with a case for a year and that is bigger. Didn't mind it at all. I want protection and good looks. I like Red and wish Samsung had the garnet red like they did before. I had one.

My S-View Flip cover looks rather bland even though it works for protecting it.

I literally hated holding in my hand even before trying to place a call. My hand is curved. The case isn't. My hands aren't particularly big or small but I imagine for someone with large hands it won't be an issue.

I though it was an awesome looking case, just not usable for me.

Moments after packing it up to go back to Amazon, I ordered two cases, an Incipio Feather Shine case (I have an Incipio for my Nexus 7) and, for variety, a Ringke SLIM

Reactions: jack58
Upvote 0
I ordered two cases.

This Speck CandySkin Grip case
Amazon.com: Speck Products Samsung Galaxy S5 CandyShell Grip- Black/Slate - Carrying Case - Retail Packaging - Black/Slate: Cell Phones & Accessories

and this belt clip case.
Amazon.com: Rugged QX XX-Large Heavy Duty Horizontal/Vertical Red/Black Cover Case W/Detachable Swivel Quad Lock Metal Steel Belt Clip for Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900A AT&T/ SM-G900P Sprint / SM-G900R4 US Cellular/ SM-G900T T-Mobile / SM-G900V Verizon:

I had just taken a new job working around farm equipment and wasn't sure if I needed the super secure belt clip, or could get by with the shirt pocket capable shell case.

So far, I have only used the Speck grip case and really like it.
I have large hands and even with the case, it feels comfortable to me. I particularly like the fact that even if my hands are sweaty or oily feeling, it will not slip out of my hands.

Previously I have always had a neck strap because I keep my phones in my shirt pocket to prevent them from being crushed when leaning over vehicle fenders, etc...

Reactions: jack58
Upvote 0
I literally hated holding in my hand even before trying to place a call. My hand is curved. The case isn't. My hands aren't particularly big or small but I imagine for someone with large hands it won't be an issue.
Sounds to me that LG Curved phone that just came out would be perfect for you...

I though it was an awesome looking case, just not usable for me.
Being I had a Note 2 with a similar case and loved it, (bigger than the S5) I might just like this case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones