• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wireless connection since 2.2

I changed the setting but have the same problem.
Any other ideas from anyone?

Could this be a problem with your network/router or your Wifi settings on the phone?

Are you limiting devices on your network with MAC addresses? Is your router assigning static IP addresses? In either case, if your network isn't seeing a sign-off from your phone, it may be holding the IP address or the MAC device as in use, so you can't sign on until you close it manually.

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to check the settings on your router and the WiFi settings on your phone.

Upvote 0
I've had the same problem since upgrading to 2.2. I have wifi set up at work and home. When I go from one location to the other, my phone won't automatically connect unless I turn the wifi off and then on again.

I've tried the sleep policy setting to never and made sure that it's not limiting by MAC addresses and its not assigning static IPs. This worked with 2.1 and I haven't changed my router settings at all, so it leads me to believe it's something to do with the phone.

Upvote 0
Dustin and Misterre, it might help if you posted what brand/model router you're connecting to. Be interesting if both were the same. It's obviously not the phone and 2.2 alone, because most people aren't having the problem.

It seems to me that when they sleep, your phones aren't disconnecting, at least not so the network knows about it, so when you wake up the phones and they try to log on, the network tells them they're already on. It's certainly possible that code changed somehow between 2.1 and 2.2 that made this happen.

Once the phone sleeps, you might also try going into your router settings and seeing if the phone is still listed as active on the network. Mine is listed as inactive when it's sleeping and active when it wakes up. It stays active for a while after it goes to sleep.

Upvote 0
This happens to me at work and at home so it is not specific to one router.

And you're sure that home and work have different brands of routers?

Try an experiment. Go to the part of your home where you have the strongest WiFi signal. Sleep the phone for 15 seconds. Wake it back up. Do you have to turn WiFi off and on again to restart it?

If you don't, keep pushing out the time the phone sleeps to see what amount of sleep causes the problem. If it's 10 minutes, or 60 minutes, or longer, suspect a router issue.

If it needs to be stopped and started again after 15 seconds, I'd bet it isn't a router issue, at least not one I've identified.

Upvote 0
I know it's been a while, but I'm still having the issue. The last thing I tried was deleting the wi-fi profiles and adding them back.

Like Misterre, the problem is happening for me at work and home. The problem does not happen when the phone sleeps in the vicinity of the same wi-fi network, but rather when traveling between work and home.

What I've seen happen is that when I get home from work, I notice that I don't have a wi-fi connection (no wi-fi icon in the notification area). If I pull up the wi-fi settings screen on my phone, I will see the messages "Connecting..." & "Disconnected" going back and forth. The work network will show up with a low signal icon (just the dot at the bottom), while my home network will show up as "Not in range". The same thing happens in reverse when going from home to work.

Upvote 0
Perhaps try WiFi Manager or Quick Settings download?

I looked at both of those, but it seems like they are both manual workarounds (i.e., they offer a convenient way to switch wi-fi on/off). It would be nice if there were a way to switch off the wi-fi antenna when a remembered network is out of range and then turn it back on when the screen wakes up to search for a remembered network. I tried 'Auto WiFi Toggle', but that didn't seem to work.

On another note, even though 'Quick Settings' didn't fit the bill by offering an automated solution, it did give me a way to access settings via the notifications area, which is something I've been looking for.

Upvote 0
There is an application named Tasker that will do what you are asking. Through GPS, it knows when i leave the house and turns the wifi signal off automatically. When I come home, it turns wifi back on again. You can set this up for as many locations as you wish and this handy little app can automate all sorts of other stuff too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones