Wireless Emergency AlertsGeneral

1. LoganH

LoganH Well-Known Member

Just curious if anybody has gotten the Wireless Emergency Alerts that our phone can receive? If so did they have a special ringtone and vibration like it says in the user guide?

Advertisement
  2. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Fortunately, no not yet. :)
  3. metal571

metal571 Well-Known Member

Not yet. But mine are turned on and I'm pretty sure they're on by default.
  4. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Well-Known Member Developer

Where is the settings for it?
  5. metal571

Messaging > Menu > Settings > Emergency alerts. I'm actually running Harmonia 3.08a right now to test out your ROM, and I see that that screen is blank, although on stock and other ROMs, the checkboxes are there.
  6. Sean OGorman

Sean OGorman Member

Yes, and its annoying. It makes the normal emergency tone you hear on TV.

[​IMG]
    LoganH likes this.
  7. Leslie Ann

Found it (thanks :))
    If you don't see them on 3.08a, then you had a bad flash or something. It's definitely there.

The only one not checked on my phone is test.
  8. jmatherly411

jmatherly411 Well-Known Member

The emergency alert system on your EVO won't give you common severe thunderstorm warnings, flash flood warnings, tornado warnings, etc. The system is there for particularly dangerous situations, for example the National Weather Service sees a possible tornado outbreak and issues a particularly dangerous situation tornado watch/warning (2011 super outbreak) has to be issued by FEMA or your state emergency management agency. Other examples a possible hazmat situation that may threaten a city, township, county, nuclear emergencies, hurricane evacuations.
    Don't rely on this feature if you see that severe weather is coming and feel that you may need to take the necessary precautions to keep you and your family safe.
    raynoldsk likes this.
  9. metal571

If you do want real time push notifications for severe weather, get the weather channel app, which is available in the play store. It's really good, and the wide widget is always sitting on one of my home screens.
  10. Leslie Ann

The best alert I have found is Simple Weather Alert, which uses the NWS system to process alerts. It's been great so far, my mom and I both use it.

I use that for alerts, stock Sense clock for basic weather, and Weather Bug for more in depth. This gives me a good all around approach that is light on the battery. Then I have my suite of weather/tornado chasing apps (I'm a trained weather spotter for NWS), these are overkill unless you live in an area with tornado activity.
  11. xthedakmanx

xthedakmanx Well-Known Member

I've been getting severe weather and tornado warnings through it. It's freaking loud lol
  12. LoganH

LoganH Well-Known Member

Would the alerts still go off if the phone was on vibrate or silent?
  13. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

How about the emergency alert that will notify me when my mother-in-law is coming?
  14. aldamon

aldamon Well-Known Member

Um, yes it will. My EVO scared the crap out of me with a flash flood warning. There are four kinds of warnings you can select and I turned off the Severe one.
    LoganH likes this.
  15. harvickchick

harvickchick Well-Known Member

One came in about half hour after I got the phone. Scared the crap out of me.
  16. jmatherly411

jmatherly411 Well-Known Member

The flash flood warning was issued by your state emergency management agency then forwarded to the NWS to be broadcasted. Thanks, these alerts won't come across if they are not issued from FEMA or SEMA
  17. netfortius

netfortius Member

Interestingly enough I started getting THE SAME ONE multiple times a day: "Flash Flood Warning this area til 6:00PM CDT. Avoid Flood area. Check local media - NWS" ... over and over and over again ... I just disabled ALL emergency alerts, to see if that would cure the problem. Does anybody else have this issue? Any suggestions about how to still receive valid ones, while cleaning up this specific false one?
  18. kagevazquez

kagevazquez Well-Known Member

On stocki get those messages and when I check my texts it comes up yellow while everything else is white
  19. G19

G19 Well-Known Member

I'm vacationing in Vegas and got my first emergency alert. I've never seen those before. My gf and friend received the same one
  20. koopakid08

koopakid08 Well-Known Member

I get flash food warnings all the time probably about 10 to 15 since having this phone....
  21. RonDotCom

RonDotCom Active Member

I've been getting dust storm warnings. Need to figure out how to disable this thing.
  22. gamikzone

gamikzone Well-Known Member

ive gotten an emergency alert when a storm swept through my area and knocked all the power out it scared the crap out of me aswell
  23. kagevazquez

24. FaroeseViking

FaroeseViking Well-Known Member

I've already gotten 2. Both were for severe thunderstorm and flash flooding here in NYC.
  25. kagevazquez

Lol yeah it's a little crazy right now right