Wireless hotspot and rooting

Last Updated:

1. TuNeCedeMalis

TuNeCedeMalis Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've seen a lot of scattered comments about this subject, but it all seems inconsistent. I would absolutely love to have my phone be a wireless hotspot for my computer. However, I'd like to do this without being charged from sprint. Now I know this is obviously something sprint wouldn't want their customers to do so I have two main questions:

1) Do you absolutely have to root your phone for it to be able to act as a hotspot for free?

2) If so, what would be the negative effects of rooting your phone. I'm assuming it would void warranty. Anything else?

edit:
    3) Would there be any way for sprint to tell that you are using it as a hotspot without paying?

Advertisement
  2. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

1) As of right now yes. I believe Froyo (Android 2.2) includes tethering from within the OS so you wouldn't have to root if the Evo gets updated to 2.2
    2) I don't believe there are any real threats to just rooting. Flashing new OS maybe but I don't thinking rooting will have any negative effects on the phone.
    3) Not really. They might notice a large amount of data being used but there really isn't anything they can do. The $10 removes the cap on data I believe.

Hope that helps

3. djdisturbed

djdisturbed Well-Known Member

1) yes and no, you can use PDAnet (they sent me an email saying that it will work w/ 4g..... but i dont think they have really tested it) or one other app that you can get in the market that you can use to tether your phone with usb or bluetooth, but for wifi tether you will have to root (untill froyo comes out IF sprint allows it to be left in, if not you will prob have to root then too)

2) If not done properly (from what I have read) and you dont take the correct security percautions you can leave you phone open for people to hack into it wirelessly, BUT thats only if you dont set your the security correctly after you root (again, this is from what I have read)

3) Prob not, I do it all the time w/ my palm pre right now and as long as I dont break the 5gb/month cap its all good, but like he said in post before mine, that cap is supposed to be lifted w/ that $10/month plan add-on

4. wrtau23

wrtau23 New Member

Will PDANet work with the the IPAD?

5. evoq

evoq Active Member

Nope, because the IPAD cannot access the net via bluetooth or USB.

6. suprmallet

suprmallet Well-Known Member

Don't count on free wireless tethering coming to the EVO with Froyo. Sprint will almost certainly ask for that to be disabled or tied into their current hotspot function so you still have to pay.