Wireless Hotspot on Froyo w/o Custom Rom?

Last Updated:

1. bertpbno1

bertpbno1 New Member This Topic's Starter

Apologies in advance for the post; I'm sure this has been answered somewhere before, I'm just having a hard time finding it.

I have a Droid running the recent Froyo update. I'm wondering if there is a way to root my phone and do something (install an app?) that will allow me to use the phone as a wifi hotspot without installing a custom rom? I'm not a super adventurous user (mostly concerned about speed/stability); I would just like to utilize this feature if possible.

If it isn't possible to do this without installing a custom rom, is there a rom available that makes minimal changes to the standard OS just to enable a few missing features like tethering and wifi hotspot?

Thanks for the help, and again, sorry if this is posted somewhere and I just didn't see it.

Advertisement
  2. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

3. blong4life

blong4life Member

Now if I did that (sorry for the thread hijacking), would the wifi hotspot feature be free (As in, no monthly fee)?

4. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

well......, there would be no charge by doing it this way, but if you tether a lot this way, verizon could get on to you about because you are technically violating your contract.

5. blong4life

blong4life Member

One last thing, if I have a hardware problem like a something goes wrong with the screen and I have the rooted phone would they beable to tell, or can you un-root it before you go to them?

Because my screen is very loose on the track, I think it'd be a warranty issue.

6. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

If you root, you can always go back to stock without root. There are lots of threads about how to unroot.

7. blong4life

blong4life Member

Ok great and would going back to un-root be good enough for a warranty claim for a non-software issue, or would they know?

8. darkside

Once you unroot, as far as my understanding, there is no way they will be able to tell

9. blong4life

blong4life Member

Ok thanks, I am going to try that link above see what happens.

10. darkside