Wireless internet interfering with 3G networkSupport

Last Updated:

1. tangomango

tangomango Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is incredibly weird!

I wanted to speedtest my carrier network so I turned off Wifi and tested it. But then I went on my PC to compare it and the internet would not work. I did a ping test to google, and 8/10 packets were lost (timed out).

After some messing around, I realized that when I had Wifi ON, my PC internet worked fine. However, when I had 3G on, my PC internet did not work remotely as well.

I'm working with Windows 7x64. There is an option in Wireless properties that says 'Connect to a more preferred network if available' which was unchecked. With that being said, this may sound really odd, but is my computer trying to connect to the 3G network somehow?

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Sounds like you have tethered your phone to your PC and now it is trying to achieve a connection through it....

3. tangomango

4. johnlgalt

Hmmm - Perhaps I should back up and re-trace some steps here.

1. First of all, you have your phone updated, and you've got it hooked up to your WiFi on your home network, and you tested speed with it on.
    2. Then, you wanted to test your carrier network, so you turned WiFi off on your phone - leaving your actual WiFi home network on - as in connected.
    3. Now, your home computer will not connect using WiFi, and is acting strange.

Is this the gist of the problem? If so, have you

• rebooted the computer?
    • power cycled (aka rebooted) the wireless router?

Also, is your home computer also wireless or is it wired?

5. tangomango

Yes exactly!

I did a little test here:
    I have a ping google -t running constantly throughout this little experiment.

While my computer AND phone are on Wifi, it's pinging with no packet losses with like 50ms.

Then I turn off Wifi on my phone, the ping tests start timing out...but then it becomes stable and has no packet loss at the same 50ms. Perhaps because the phone is not using any internet activity because...

...when I load up a webpage on my phone, the ping test will start timing out.

I tried doing a system restore to before the time I started messing around with the 'Capture shots with SDK.' It rolled back to before I installed Sun Java SE and Google Inc, (androidUSBdriver.zip). But I'm having the same issue still.

EDIT: Yes, I did restart the computer and the wireless router/modem.

And yes my home PC is wireless connection.

6. johnlgalt

Hmmm - OK, now, what type of connection is your home PC using, N or G? This is goin ot be the critical part, b/c as we found in another thread, some routers (most notably D-Link's DGL-4500) play much more nicely with the DROID if the router is in G only mode, as opposed to sharing G and N.

I have a plan I am finishing implementing tonight to allow 2 separate routers - one N for my laptop b/c I take it all around the house, and I want the speed, especially when streaming music and / or using Remote Desktop, and G from another router for my DROID exclusively, b/c if I am using WiFi on my DROID I am 99% of the time in a single room, where that G-router will be located.

7. tangomango

Uh...

All I know it is an Buffalo Airstation. Is the G or N part of the model number?

8. johnlgalt

Hmmm. It might be, but a model # should help us figure it out as well.