• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless N support unlocked on the HTC EVO

I've tried the N hack and I was not able to connect when the router was in pure N mode (not mixed G/N). I did speedtests multiple times, and even tried 2 different firmware flashes (I have the WNR3500L open router so I can run both DDWRT & Tomato). No joy.

Josh--to answer your question--yes, there is a zip file that you can flash (in recovery mode) if you don't want to do the HEX edit. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with this one. I'm interested if anyone else has success with this.

Reactions: Josh k
Upvote 0
I've tried the N hack and I was not able to connect when the router was in pure N mode (not mixed G/N). I did speedtests multiple times, and even tried 2 different firmware flashes (I have the WNR3500L open router so I can run both DDWRT & Tomato). No joy.

Josh--to answer your question--yes, there is a zip file that you can flash (in recovery mode) if you don't want to do the HEX edit. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with this one. I'm interested if anyone else has success with this.

Thanks! I've rooted with unrevoked. Would that suffice? Sorry but I'm not even sure what recovery mode is! Stay away?

Upvote 0
It will work fine but its not N....its G

i had a g router i was using a few days ago and it would work but always lose connection eventually. but my router was old, cheap, and lame and it was expected. i guess i shouldn't be concerned since this doesn't affect me. just got confused by the post i guess.

also in response to skpd my battery does not drain quickly when running wifi on n. it seemed superior. my battery lasted 24 hours with light/moderate usage with mobile network and wifi both on, 4g off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones