• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
A bit of a long shot, but be sure your router is set to either dual-band "N" (2.4GHz/5GHz) or 2.4GHz only. Mine was set to 5GHz only (less interference) and the Dinc2 couldn't connect. As soon as I enabled 2.4GHz it worked. I'm guessing the phone doesn't support the full 802.11n spec.

Upvote 0
How do you know it was connected via G?

When you check the connection status, if it is connected at anything above 54, then it's not G. It definitely works fine with my Netgear WNDR3700.

It is true, the phone only supports the 2.4GHz band.

My router shows it as connected via G, and the phone reports a connection speed of 54Mbps.

Upvote 0
My router shows it as connected via G, and the phone reports a connection speed of 54Mbps.

I wonder if any of the neighbor friendly stuff that N has is causing this. Is the router set to its defaults as far as those settings are concerned?

Is there a way to restrict to N only (for testing purposes), and then see what happens when you try to connect?

Upvote 0
I wonder if any of the neighbor friendly stuff that N has is causing this. Is the router set to its defaults as far as those settings are concerned?

Is there a way to restrict to N only (for testing purposes), and then see what happens when you try to connect?

I was going to set it at N only last night to test, but realized the laptop I was using at that very moment was G only, so I would have lost connection to the router. I'll need to hard wire to the router to make that change for testing purposes.

At the end of the day, this doesn't really matter. 54Mbps is way fatser than the data speeds being sent over wifi. Even after the loss due to overhead, wireless G is still 15-20Mbps, which is significantly faster than any internet connection that is being used by my phone. I guess I just want it to work as advertised.

Upvote 0
I was going to set it at N only last night to test, but realized the laptop I was using at that very moment was G only, so I would have lost connection to the router. I'll need to hard wire to the router to make that change for testing purposes.

At the end of the day, this doesn't really matter. 54Mbps is way fatser than the data speeds being sent over wifi. Even after the loss due to overhead, wireless G is still 15-20Mbps, which is significantly faster than any internet connection that is being used by my phone. I guess I just want it to work as advertised.

It must be a setting in the router that is causing it to be unable to connect via N. Have you ever verified that another N capable device has successfully connected to that router via N?

Upvote 0
Glad it's working. And of course, using WEP is like having no security at all so you're much better off this way.

Yeah, when I first got wireless, WEP was all there was. It was just easier to set up each new router with the same security than to change it in every device that accesses the network. I completely forgot that WEP and N didn't play well together.

Guess it was about time to update to real security.

Upvote 0
Ok I have this issue too. I bought an ASUS RT56U router in place of my linksys 610n and when the 2.4 band is set to n-only, the phone doesn't see it. My laptops all connect to it fine at the 801.11n setting. The same thing happened to the 610n router. If I set my 610n to b/g, the phone connects fine. I also turned the 610n off so it doesn't conflict with the ASUS. This phone has no wireless-n support and it has the 2.3.4 software version on it. What a ripoff.

Yep confirmed that this phone doesn't support wireless n. I have an old laptop that is a/b/g and it doesn't see it also although it connects to the n-only 5GHz band fine. The other laptops that are weeks old connect to the 2.4GHz n-only band fine. This phone sees not a single band on either 2 routers other than the 2.4GHz b/g band on the 610N. So what I did is connect the 610N to the ASUS and I have my McGyver'd version of a dual band router:) And yes, all of the bands have unique SSIDs and all are not hidden. For some reason this HTC Inc2 can't see any of the n bands.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones