Wireless only picking up certain signalsSupport

Last Updated:

1. fightinphil

fightinphil New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone,

6 month user of the ERIS here and I need some input. My wife and I both have the phone and use them fairly often - myself more since installing the Good For Enterprise application to monitor my work account.

I know we used to be able to use the wireless connectivity to my wireless router in the house. I did switch out routers a little while ago to a Netgear 150-N - but have only realized that my phone isn't finding this signal at all (even if right next to it) My wife's either. But the laptops and desktop with a wireless card at the other end of the house get the signal fine. My phone will pull up some of my neighbor's signals, but not mine. Obviously I would rather just use the wireless instead of 3G while at home to save my battery and enhance the speed.

Any reasons why you think both our phones couldn't find this signal? I have checked the forums/ERIS manual and the router configuration site to no avail.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Phil

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I installed that router at my mother-in-law's house and my Eris picks up a signal very well. I think that your issue is that you have the Netgear set to 802.11n only. The Eris only supports 802.11g/b, so, if you have it set for 802.11n only, you need to go into the configuration and change the wireless setup so that it is in b/g/n mode.

[edit] Actually, my mother-in-law has the Netgear 300N, but I am guessing that it's similar enough.

3. fightinphil

Doogald,

Thanks for the input and response! I did take a look and I was on a setting which was g/n only (which should pick up the g mode you mentioned for the Eris - but I didn't know they were only b/g)

In any case, I switched to mixed mode b/g/n and applied it to the router - no luck. I power cycled the router just in case - also no luck.

Just doesn't make sense... Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any more input!

phil

4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Just to ask the questions: are you broadcasting the SSID? Do you have WEP, WPA or WPA2 security set up, or no security?

5. fightinphil

I do have SSID broadcast on (I checked the router settings and I am also able to see my SSID on the wireless laptops)

I have the following security set on the router:

WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

Could that security be the issue? It is not an issue for my wireless laptops or printer - but maybe the Eris lacks that level?

Thanks again!

Phil

6. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Phil, try changing to WPA2 only. It's more secure anyway (there is an obscure TKIP vulnerability that does not exist in CCMP/AES), and I am willing to bet that your other computers will work fine with WPA2.

This may not be the answer, but I have read of other people who had issues connecting with WPA.

Let me know if that doesn't work. The next step, really, is to test briefly with no security. If that doesn't work, then you'll know that it's not a security issue but something else. (Perhaps the firmware needs to be upgraded, for example?)

Just to ask another question, which channel is your router broadcasting on?

fightinphil likes this.
  7. fightinphil

Well shiver me timbers - going to WPA2 only did the trick!! No clue - but really don't care why :D

Doogald - thanks for all your input and help troubleshooting on this!! Hope you have a great weekend.

Thanks again!
    Phil

8. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

You're very welcome. I'm glad it worked.