• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless open network with password

Knaerten

Lurker
Jul 15, 2010
Hi.

I recieved my HTC Desire 3 days ago, and I really like it, but I have 1 problem.

Where I work we got a open wireless network with password protection when you open your web browser. I got no problems connecting to the network, but I dont get the pop-up box where I have to write in the password. Tried with the built in browser and opera mini, but neither of em work.

Anyone else got a problem like that, or any idea how I can get this working?

Hi.

I recieved my HTC Desire 3 days ago, and I really like it, but I have 1 problem.

Where I work we got a open wireless network with password protection when you open your web browser. I got no problems connecting to the network, but I dont get the pop-up box where I have to write in the password. Tried with the built in browser and opera mini, but neither of em work.

Anyone else got a problem like that, or any idea how I can get this working?

Go to settings/wireless & networks/wifi settings & press add network, select your network & that will enable you to enter a password there

Upvote 0
Thanx for your replies.

I might have posted this in the wrong forum, and i have created a new one in a more appropriet place. Deeply sorry.

I kinda wrote my question badly aswell.
Its not a secure network, thats the problem. Its a no security open network, but when you open your browser it should redirect you to a login page, but it wont show the redirection page. It dosnt redirect me, and when i go to the site manualy it dosnt show.

The mods can close this thread, since i have created it in the wrong place. Again, sorry about that. Anyway, thanx for atleast trying :)

Upvote 0
I meant a proxy address, there's no support for proxy on wifi (very poor, Google), but there is for mobile. I had a similar issue at work, but they eventually removed the need (yay for the uni, and i dont often say that!!")

Again that would be taken care of by the router, but for the mobile internet side i think you will find its dictated by your service provider.

Upvote 0
Again that would be taken care of by the router, but for the mobile internet side i think you will find its dictated by your service provider.

You are correct, but some employer's networks require proxy settings for wifi, which are not supported in Android. Hence, you can connect to the network, but not use it in any substantive way. It is an ongoing problem for many, especially those working in institutions like UK universities, the majority of which require proxy settings.

Upvote 0
You are correct, but some employer's networks require proxy settings for wifi, which are not supported in Android. Hence, you can connect to the network, but not use it in any substantive way. It is an ongoing problem for many, especially those working in institutions like UK universities, the majority of which require proxy settings.

Looks like this is something that needs to be addressed either in the market place or by google with a rom update

Upvote 0
Looks like this is something that needs to be addressed either in the market place or by google with a rom update

Yup, it is on the list at google, but has a very low priority. I was originally hoping it would appear in 2.2, but then the uni decided to remove the proxy requirement from their wireless network (a couple of us had brought it up as an issue, but it just happened one day, no notice, no reason; either way, I am happy!) Nevertheless, I was extremely annoyed that there was no support, as it was not a question that entered my head.:eek:

Upvote 0
Yup, it is on the list at google, but has a very low priority. I was originally hoping it would appear in 2.2, but then the uni decided to remove the proxy requirement from their wireless network (a couple of us had brought it up as an issue, but it just happened one day, no notice, no reason; either way, I am happy!) Nevertheless, I was extremely annoyed that there was no support, as it was not a question that entered my head.:eek:

Hopefully one of the devs will come up with a solution quicker, this needs to be higher priority than google are giving it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones