• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wireless printing without PC/laptop

Camel Chops

Feb 9, 2011
I own a Motorola Xoom wifi and I'm considering buying a wireless printer. I've been searching the net for ideas and so far I'm drawing a blank. I'm aware that I'd need some form of printing app from the market but am I able to buy a printer that will work solely with my tablet. I don't own a laptop or PC but everything I seem to have read implies that I'd need to set the printer up on one of those first. Is this the case or could I buy a wifi printer and just set it up on my tablet? If I can, would anyone suggest any specific printers that would be compatible with this kind of setup. Thanks

Lol no, that's not what I'm saying. I know that I WILL NEED an app. The question I'm asking is can I buy a printer that can be set up and work with just an android tablet ie no PC/laptop at all. I only ask because everything that I've read seems to suggest that you need a PC/laptop for the initial setup. If it is possible to setup without those, what makes/models of printers are compatible with android tablets? I hope this makes sense now because i don't know how else to word it haha

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I apologize for the further confusion.

the printer only needs BT or wifi access on it.

with wifi you can connect thru your local LAN

with BT you can use an app and directly connect to the printer with the app and BT.

again those apps posted above in the store will tell you what models they are compatible with.

you may need a desktop to initiate the first time setup but after that you should be able to directly connect without a computer.

have a look at google print and see if that is something that may interest your needs.

again i would first look at the apps and which printers they are known to work with and then go from there.

Reactions: Camel Chops
Upvote 0
I believe what you're asking is whether or not you need a pc/mac or can you just use your Xoom to just set up the printer & the answer is yes, you will need to use a pc/mac. There are drivers that will need to be installed first, on your computer that will enable the printer sync up with your wifi router. From there, you can disconnect the printer from your computer- it's no longer needed.

I suggest borrowing a friend's laptop temporarily so that you can do this, then uninstall the software from his laptop after you're done & give it back. So long as you get the printer & router communicating, you should be good to go.

Next, you'll want to download an app onto your Xoom to enable you to print wirelessly to your new printer. I suggest Cloud Print . I've been using it and it works very well. Simple to use & quick.

Upvote 0
Hi
could i ask, i wish to take out my wireless printer when i am out on a job, which will not have a router to connect to. So can i print straight from the tablet to the wireless printer, without having internet.
Thanks

Yes you can with PrinterShare. The app is set to search for and find wireless printers and then you can print directly to your wifi enabled printer without any access point or router. I have used it inconjunction with a HP Officejet Pro 8600e where it works smootly.

Upvote 0
Yes you can with PrinterShare. The app is set to search for and find wireless printers and then you can print directly to your wifi enabled printer without any access point or router. I have used it inconjunction with a HP Officejet Pro 8600e where it works smootly.

I am trying to do the same thing with a Wi Fi enabled Brother laser jet. I have it hooked up to a router (BUT NOT THE INTERNET OR A PC) and I can print certain files but not others. Some files act like they want access to the interent and b/c I have the phone's Wi Fi turned on, and not internet access on the LAN, it wont access the data it needs and kills the print job.

I need to set this printer up at a remote office. I need my employees to be able to print work orders from their Android phone and that's it. I dont need a computer there and I CANNOT get Internet access at that location. Its not an option. They have a decent 3G signal but I dont want to pay for a hot spot solely to print a few pages a week.

I have downloaded PrinterShare but it doesnt seem like it will let me test it without purchasing the key. I was able to print the "test" page offered in the app. Is that an indication that it will work for me?

Are you confident that it will work of me if I purchase the key?

I am really frustrated with this. I have tried several different print apps and they all seem to have one issue or another that prevents me from doing this.

Upvote 0
This was only thread that seems to address my question. If needed, please move to proper thread.

I just purchased a Canon PIXMA MX922 and want to print from my phone through 3G/4G, in addition to wifi. Looking for a free app that allows this. Canon has several but none that work over 3G/4G. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any assistance....

Upvote 0
I own a Motorola Xoom wifi and I'm considering buying a wireless printer. I've been searching the net for ideas and so far I'm drawing a blank. I'm aware that I'd need some form of printing app from the market but am I able to buy a printer that will work solely with my tablet. I don't own a laptop or PC but everything I seem to have read implies that I'd need to set the printer up on one of those first. Is this the case or could I buy a wifi printer and just set it up on my tablet? If I can, would anyone suggest any specific printers that would be compatible with this kind of setup. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi mate ive been reading your posts and have the same problem and i can give you a definitive answer NO.
You cant set up fully as id also like to do without.
Even if you set up for wireless printing away from home there are other issues like sometimes technical issues arrise with ink jets or nozzles etc etc and again the old issue raises its head that you have to have a pc thats loaded the disc and the drivers to read and run repairs to all printers.its so annoying that theres not a printer with pre installed drivers and an app to run it as its that simple!
Im in the same boat and need this too.PLEASE PRINTER GODS BRING US A PRE INSTALLED DRIVERS PRINTER WITH AN ANDROID APP TO RUN! THATS ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS

Upvote 0
I hadv
Thanks, I understand that I'd need an app but that wasnt my question. I'd like to know what printers are available for what I want to do? Can anyone give me specific makes and models that would work with just a tablet i had this problem for sonetime but now there is a way round it,i have found out that there is a printer that you can set up without installing the driver discs that runs fine in wifi mobile tablet mode and can be managed with the touch screen on the front of it if any errors etc occur,the printer is ahp envy 5544 all in one wireless inkjet printer and you then get the hp app printer services,this printer is excellent and you can buy it at argos or currys ,check the prices as even though they are owned by the same company the prices differ dranatically.
This will solve all your problems,simply turn it on and connect up your devices wifi and your done

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones