Wireless Service Providers > Nexus 1

Last Updated:

1. rgraham1

rgraham1 Member This Topic's Starter

There is confusion about this (in my mind anyway).

Can anyone confirm which Wireless Service Providers the Nexus One will definitely work with?

I am primarily interested in the National Service Providers.

But also, this same confirmation about Regional Wireless Service Providers would be helpful. (For example, where I live US Cellular has the best coverage and so I use them.)

Advertisement
  2. g_patrick15

g_patrick15 Well-Known Member

Unlocked, it will work on any gsm carrier, but if you want 3G, in the US T-Mobile is your only option.

3. rgraham1

rgraham1 Member This Topic's Starter

Unlocked, it will work on any gsm carrier - Could you list the GSM Carriers?

If this list is very long, could you list the major service providers?

if you want 3G, in the US T-Mobile is your only option - Are you saying that if I want to use the Nexus to connect to the Internet (without a WiFi), then T-Mob is the ONLY choice of a Service Provider?

4. g_patrick15

1. In the US, the major GSM carriers are AT&T and T-Mobile. There are some regionals that use GSM as well as Rogers and Fido (i think).

2. You can use the internet on any gsm carrier, but you'll be limited to EDGE and not 3G unless it's on t-mobile

5. Luke99

Luke99 Member

anyone know if i would be able to get 3G on wind mobile in canada? cause i was reading something on winds site and it says they use the same type of network that tmobile uses

6. g_patrick15

it will work on wind

7. JELC

JELC Member

No if you use the Nexus to connect to the Internet without WiFi then T-Mobile is the only US Carrier that you will get 3G with, if not you are stuck on Edge with At&t. The current major GSM Carriers are T-Mobile and At&t, therefore the Nexus will not work on Verizon's or Sprint's Network.

8. t-mizzle

t-mizzle Well-Known Member

Hi Jelc. Completely true. On top of that, US carriers don't like handsets capable of running on both CDMA & GSM networks. They insist on handset exclusivity and dodge direct competition especially when they expect big sales. Aside from the increased cost to build phones GSM/CDMA capable that would be the other reason we aren't seeing any at the Iphone level.

Both Apple and Verizon would have loved selling a CDMA iphone 3GS.