Wireless Tether for root users help

Last Updated:

1. Shouse

Shouse Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there an instruction guide going on this. I'm trying to get this working with my laptop and have had no success yet.

Advertisement
  2. Shouse

Shouse Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well I got it up and running and it's showing 519kb down and 112.5 kb up. However, I'm still getting quite slow firefox loading pages. Is there anything I can check or configure differently?

3. g0tr00t

g0tr00t Well-Known Member

It wasn't SUPER fast for me either..but....given the alternative. Oh my...what an excellent application!

When I tested it, I had it wide open and didn't realize the 3 other laptops connecting to it so that may have played some part in the slowness. I am going to retest it later this week.

4. sarspants

sarspants Well-Known Member

It took me a minute to figure it out too. It basically turns your phone into a wireless router. So while you think that you have to plug it in because that's what normally happens for tethering (hence the name for it), you don't. Turn on the tethering, then scan for wireless access points. The default SSID is G1Tether but you can change that and add WEP security by hitting Menu->Setup.

5. g0tr00t

g0tr00t Well-Known Member

Same..it was kinda funny since I was experimenting yesterday at a comic book store (playing games) and 2 guys at another table said "Oh sweet! The store has free WiFi.."

lol...I had disconnect them and figure out my settings...I told them I had to DC them to preserve battery life. They all looked at me bewildered since they couldn't believe that my phone was acting as a WiFI router...I just smiled and said "Google phone"....

:D

6. durandetto

durandetto Well-Known Member

What are the optimal settings for wireless tether? Is there a way to password protect against unwanted use? I changed the SSID and passphrase and now it says it's connected, but it doesn't work.

7. thatjerk

thatjerk Well-Known Member

If you enable access control on the settings of the app, you will be able to approve or not approve any device that attempts to connect to your hero. Notification settings will allow you to control how you are notified to approve or not approve a connection.

8. durandetto

Here are my settings:
    Wifi-Encryption- enabled
    Passphrase and SSID- custom
    Channel and Power mode- default
    Access-Control- enabled
    LAN Settings- default
    Client Notification mode- All clients
    Wake-lock- Disabled
    If I didn't mention a setting it is set to default. My question is why is tethering no longer working?

9. featherz

featherz Member

How come when I set up access control and a WEP key that I'm still showing up as an insecure network? I get on the train and a dozen people connect up since it shows up as open. Access control is on, and I can delete them out, but shouldn't it show up secure so they won't bother?

10. cirehawk

cirehawk Well-Known Member

I used the tethering last night and it is awesome, but I have a simple question. How do you turn it off? I tap on the area where it says "tap here to stop tethering". It then says it's stopping, but it goes back to the screen where it says "allow or deny access". If I just hit the back button to get to the home screen, and then pull down the status bar, it says that wifi tethering is still running. So far, the only way I've been able to stop it is to power the phone down and turn it back on.

11. durandetto

Are you talking about the SU screen? If so try hitting "always allow" then you shouldn't have problem after that.

12. cirehawk

cirehawk Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm talking about the SU screen. So unless I select "always allow" (which isn't a problem) I can't properly terminate the app?

13. meangreengdub

meangreengdub Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. I've set a password and everything but still says it's unsecured. What gives??

14. greatcasa

greatcasa Active Member

What's the default channel? I can connect my computer to my phone, but it never gets out to the internet. I'm also having trouble with mine showing up at unsecure when I secured it.

15. Kenotic

Kenotic Active Member

I get the same issue with encryption not being turned on. I am hoping someone fixes this soon.

16. rrr

rrr Member

I'm just so ecstatic that i can deep six my aircard. YESSSSSSSS!
    Tethering rocks! I do hope someone fixes the problem where it never actually shows up as secure after enabling WEP

17. colawars

colawars Member

I was wondering if anyone's got their Nintendo Wii or DS online successfully using wireless tether? My Wii finds the wireless connection, but fails when it tries to do a connection test. I can't find an online DS game to test it with, but I think their methods of WiFi connection are similar. Anyone have any connection settings I should fiddle with?

18. derspiess

derspiess Well-Known Member

As much as I love the concept of wifi tethering, I've gone back to using PDANet via USB. I'm getting 1.8mbps down that way :)

19. avhokie

avhokie Well-Known Member

Same issue here with encryption not working for me. Will give access control a try

20. avhokie

BTW, I'd prefer to use the wired, but I seem to have issues with that app (error code 67s and the like). The wireless one has worked consistently

21. joseamirandavelez

joseamirandavelez Well-Known Member

Are you guys tethering regularly? Have you had any problems with Sprint?

22. avhokie

I tether a couple of times a week. No problems with Sprint

23. Aleko

Aleko Well-Known Member

Do you have to have a "custom" ROM installed to be able to tether, or can it be done with a stock ROM (rooted, of course)? Is there an app that needs to be downloaded?

24. avhokie

25. holloway0405

holloway0405 Member

I'm rooted and running Fresh 2.0b. Everything has been running smooth with this ROM except for Wireless Tether. I tried to use it for the first time the other day and it gets stuck at the Super User Permission page. the screen goes black and I can just see "SU Request" at the top of the screen. I know I need to get to this screen in order for wireless tether to work. Anybody else having this problem/know how I can solve it? I've already tried restarting and that doesn't work. Thanks in advance