• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root wireless tether for root users

did it even get to the point of asking you for superuser permissions? (make sure that it's not already checked off in the Superuser Permissions app; if it is, hit "forget.")

it's possible that it's your kernel. see http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/97551-froyo-incompatibility-complaints-list.html but basically some programs only work in stock 2.2...some don't work in themed 2.2... some don't work period...some are just mishymoshy.

do you use ROM manager?

Upvote 0
FRF57 currently.

If you have any new apps installed, run Titanium Backup (etc). Hopefully you should need none of these backups.

For all of this, refer to http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/94115-painless-thorough-rom-switching-under-hour.html . You won't be doing a hard reboot, but more of a soft thing in which you don't change the roms. Still, it's good to back everything up just in case.

if you do use rom manager, make sure to go into ROM manager and do a backup of your current configuration. name it FRFxxStableNoWifi or something like that.

Then go to ROM manager. Check to see if the backup worked. Then, Downlaod Rom>Stock, and pick the Froyo 2.2 Leaked or whatever. Download the files.

Make another backup if desired (it would be wise if you didn't check to see if the previous backup had worked). Leave unchecked the wipe data and cache.

All of these things will put you back to the stock Froyo FRF57 rom (no themes, sorry :(). All your programs and data and stuff should stay restored.

Then, it might be a good idea to go into Superuser Permissions and forget all of them. Then go into Barnacle Wifi tether and see if you have the same problem.

Upvote 0
wait wait wait! the only time that you can install another ROM without clearing data/cache (meaning you keep your programs and stuff) is when it's going from a 2.2 kernel to a 2.2 kernel or a 2.1 kernel to a 2.1 kernel. When you're switching kernel versions, you can only use TiBu or similar! so watch out, and i'd advise that the first thing you try is stock 2.2 froyo and then move to other things.

i think that everything's going to get worked out with the broken apps within the next week or two.

Upvote 0
Umm, it's not the kernel that is important - it is the ROM itself.

If the ROM you're flashing is based upon the ROM you're using, as in build version, as in FRF57 for FroYo, then you can avoid formatting Data. Even then, it is usually in your best interests to format Data, the reasons being:

It prevents stupid app incompatibilities from farking your system, and
It is a lot easier to troubleshoot from a clean install POV

Upvote 0
Umm, it's not the kernel that is important - it is the ROM itself.

If the ROM you're flashing is based upon the ROM you're using, as in build version, as in FRF57 for FroYo, then you can avoid formatting Data. Even then, it is usually in your best interests to format Data, the reasons being:

It prevents stupid app incompatibilities from farking your system, and
It is a lot easier to troubleshoot from a clean install POV

bah, snafu. you're right. it does have more to do with file dependencies and stuff. my bad.

Upvote 0
I installed froyo two days ago and i am having some problems getting wireless tether for root users to put out a wifi signal.

Here is my info
Android version-2.2
Baseband version-C_01.3E.01P
Kernel Version-2.6.32.9-P3Droid
pierce@MyDroidWorld #12
Build Number-voles-userdebug 2.2 FRFxx 49593 test keys
Aside from running pierce@MyDroidWorld #13 (1200 MHz), I am running the same configuration and I am not having any problems running the Wireless Tether app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones