• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless Tether in Infrastructure Mode

try a reboot of the phone, I uninstalled beta 1 tried beta4 no luck with that one, same error you getting.
then I installed that and put an older 2.8 version on, worked perfect every time but only adhoc
then put beta 1 back on and kept getting errors, then rebooted and now working.
Yeah it has to be a CM7 problem since all your advice is not working. I will flash over to the teamchickeneater rom tonight and see if I can get your results, I'll even try the sense rom to see if it works there too. Thanks for all your help by the way....I will report back with the results.

Upvote 0
CONFIRMED.

snap20110823_230614.png

snap20110823_230619.png

snap20110823_230600.png

Infrastructure works on the teamchickeneater rom on Netd but not softap. I wonder what the problem was on the CM7 beta, I know it's beta but would like to know the exact problem for future references. Maybe someone can make a fix along with ALL the other bugs in it. Anyway, confirmed working but not on CM7....DAMN!!!!

Upvote 0
Been using the Beta 4 for a few days now with only a few minor irratations. I noticed that if I use the app after a reboot, and then close it, it seems to start running again if I turn on WIFI and turn it back off. I see it in my list of running programs in GO Launcher App Drawer. Not sure about 3g use. When this happens, it seems to slow down the system a little. Minor thing, but I am starting to use it quite a bit.

Is Beta 5 better in any way?

Upvote 0
Been using the Beta 4 for a few days now with only a few minor irratations. I noticed that if I use the app after a reboot, and then close it, it seems to start running again if I turn on WIFI and turn it back off. I see it in my list of running programs in GO Launcher App Drawer. Not sure about 3g use. When this happens, it seems to slow down the system a little. Minor thing, but I am starting to use it quite a bit.

Is Beta 5 better in any way?
With out specifics, just seat of your pants type I would say yes.

I never had too many issues with any that I used, but I did stay at beta1 until 4 was out. I jumped to 4 then within days jumped to 5 it seems a bit less quirksome.

On a related but separate note tonight I actually got a chance to do a speedtest on my phone somewhere other then my house, I got full bars for signal and got 2.2mb/s down and 640kb/s up and another from a few mins later 1.2mb/s down and 677kb/s down I left the strong signal area too quick after that to do any other testing. :(

Upvote 0
Ok I have a fix.... I'm kind surprised nobody has tried it yet tbh.

For those of you who are having problems disabling tethering and re enabling it go to wireless and networks and turn on wifi then run wifi tether. You should be able trio stop and start at will. This is working for sure on beta 4... I dunno about the others. Hope it works for yall

Upvote 0
Ok I have a fix.... I'm kind surprised nobody has tried it yet tbh.

For those of you who are having problems disabling tethering and re enabling it go to wireless and networks and turn on wifi then run wifi tether. You should be able trio stop and start at will. This is working for sure on beta 4... I dunno about the others. Hope it works for yall

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was having this problem with Beta 2-4. (Haven't tried 5 yet)
However, I was able to stop it from happening by disabling the forced reloading of the WiFi-Driver ("WiFi-driver reload") which only became enabled by default in Beta 2.
I have yet to have a problem with disabling and re-enabling tethering since then.

Upvote 0
I have followed all of the advice above and can restart Beta5 without problems. I can get the touchpad to see the android network, but I cannot connect. I have tried using encryption and no encryption and even tried using a static ip. No Dice! The connection starts and then gives an "association failed" msg. Any thoughts? :mad:

Upvote 0
:thinking:Ok I'm getting frustrated with this. I installed beta 6 and set up as OP says. I am testing with another android phone and I can get it to connect, both phones can see each other but cannot load web pages or market on test phone. I saw that some have said you have to run "wireless tether for root" that you get from the market. I tried that and I cannot connect with both running at the same time. Is there something special I have to do? Like open one first then the other, any settings I have to change on the "wireless tether for root" app? Really want to get this working. Thanks for any help someone might be able to offer.

Upvote 0
:thinking:Ok I'm getting frustrated with this. I installed beta 6 and set up as OP says. I am testing with another android phone and I can get it to connect, both phones can see each other but cannot load web pages or market on test phone. I saw that some have said you have to run "wireless tether for root" that you get from the market. I tried that and I cannot connect with both running at the same time. Is there something special I have to do? Like open one first then the other, any settings I have to change on the "wireless tether for root" app? Really want to get this working. Thanks for any help someone might be able to offer.
The wireless tether for root only works in adhoc mode, One to One No multiple devices.

Upvote 0
The wireless tether for root only works in adhoc mode, One to One No multiple devices.

Yeah I had gathered that from reading the thread. But then others were saying that you had to have both installed and running for it to work.

Are you running both the beta & and the wireless tether for root users together ? Ya gotta run them both . Least I did and it's working great .

Nice job & thx Necrotoxin !!

I've been playing with getting infrastructure mode working on my prevail since I saw this thread. Nothing but woes as I've mentioned previously on the thread. But yesterday I got it working. So I figured I'd tell my story in the hopes that it'd help someone.

I tried the beta1 and the beta2. Neither of them worked. I'd get one of them to work as ad-hoc but not in infrasurcture mode. So after playing with it for a few days I gave up and kept on using Wireless Tether for Root Users from the market. Well after finding my chinese tablet doesn't like ad-hoc I started messing with things for another round.

This time I thought I'd follow wetbiker7's advice and keep both versions of tether installed on my phone. I had the one from market and the beta2 one.

The infrastructure mode still didn't work. On thinking things over again I enabled encryption (wpa2) and set a password and things started working. My laptop can see and connect to the network and so can my tablet.

I haven't uninstalled the market version of tether but that's something I'll try later when I have time again.

So are people just using the Beta and setting it up as stated in the OP? I can get it to connect that way but there is no transfer of data. At least on my test phone. I guess I should try it with my laptop later at home to see if it works. Maybe going down to beta 4 might fix it? I couldn't ind a link for beta 5.

Upvote 0
K, couldn't get beta 6 to run. Installed beta 5. Tried lots of stuff. Phone restarted a couple times on its own:mad:. But I am now fully tethered :D. Now I just have to see if its repeatable and stable. So far I'm not getting my hopes up.:(

Well I couldn't get it to work a second time. :( There has to be something I'm doing wrong. Any tips that are not mentioned in the OP or elswhere in this thread?

Upvote 0
with my optimus s and beta 6 using netd i am unable to get any data after initial connection from my psp fat. It get an ip and will log into the psp store but after that the data speed drops to 0 on the monitor on the phone and then i cant connect to any website or remote play. havent tried adhoc yet but softap does not work, it gives this error:
Configering Softap...
failed
Starting softap...
failed
Activating WiFi interface...
failed

Upvote 0
HELP. Works great EXCEPT that my phone keeps rebooting after awhile. I have tested it for about 2 weeks now and after 15-30 minutes app causes phone to reboot. Once in a while, very rarely though, I can get through a session without it happening. And it only happens when Wifi Tether is in use. Any idea on why?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones