• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless Tether in Infrastructure Mode

HELP. Works great EXCEPT that my phone keeps rebooting after awhile. I have tested it for about 2 weeks now and after 15-30 minutes app causes phone to reboot. Once in a while, very rarely though, I can get through a session without it happening. And it only happens when Wifi Tether is in use. Any idea on why?

No idea why.. But I had to change to barnacle rather until beta 7 comes out

Upvote 0
HELP. Works great EXCEPT that my phone keeps rebooting after awhile. I have tested it for about 2 weeks now and after 15-30 minutes app causes phone to reboot. Once in a while, very rarely though, I can get through a session without it happening. And it only happens when Wifi Tether is in use. Any idea on why?

It happens to me too on occasion. I believe it's a wifi driver issue because as long as leave my phone alone while tethered I can tether for around 12+ hours without any reboot. If it's rebooting every 15 to 30 minutes and you're leaving it alone then there must be another app running that's trying to access the wifi driver. Try killing all of your extra processes and if it goes okay from there reboot it then kill them one at a time, wait to see if it reboots (while tethering) and keep doing that until it doesn't reboot and you'll know what's causing the issue.

Upvote 0
Ok i have tryed to get this to work for months now..

everything starts....

i can connect to my phone from computer

but theres no intetnet. on the phone u can see it sending data but not reciving any.. maybe boost is blocking us?????

i really wish this would work... ive tryed changeing profiles, roms, dns addresses and everything and no go...

SfCNR.png

Upvote 0
Ok i have tryed to get this to work for months now..

everything starts....

i can connect to my phone from computer

but theres no intetnet. on the phone u can see it sending data but not reciving any.. maybe boost is blocking us?????

i really wish this would work... ive tryed changeing profiles, roms, dns addresses and everything and no go...

SfCNR.png

Boost isn't blocking it, I've been using it since I posted this thread. Do you have wpa encryption on? I had the same problem with it off. It worked fine the first few times then didn't anymore until I enabled encryption.

Make sure while you're testing settings you don't save the profile on your computer. I don't know why but occasionally it stops working entirely and I have to forget the profile and reconnect and it's fine again.

also can you browse to a windage on your phone when it's enabled? That's always the footwear thing I check when I'm having connectivity issues.

Reactions: sonic2wb
Upvote 0
So I've scoured the Internet, and so far this was the most helpful thread I have found yet, but! I still have an issue...., and I need a tissue.... I have a toshiba thrive that I'm trying to connect to a droid x2 that is rooted and liberated, and I can not get it to detect the connection. So first problem, when I select samsung indulge, i don't get the option to change it from adhoc, i have to select galaxy s, then I can change it. Didn't work. Set up a passphrase, didn't work, tried pretty much all the downloads and the tablet will not see the network. BUT! A few months ago, when I had a droid x, i lost cable at my house and was bored as hell and was able to connect my xbox to my phone which was rooted and liberated as well. So, in a nutshell, i am thoroughly confused and need HELP! Thank you. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Bricked, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, I don't think this method will work for you simply because this is designed to work with the samsung prevail on boost mobile. The hardware in your phone is very different from ours. I would recommend looking for instructions for your specific phone.

If you're unable to find any, begin by downloading and installing the latest version of wifi tether from their googlecode page (NOT the market). Next, try with all defaults and see if you can tether that way. If still unable, try changing the profiles to each one and see if you can find one that works well for your phone.

As you can see here, necrotoxin has found this profile works with our phone simply by trial and error, even though it's not the samsung galaxy indulge that the profile seems to be designed for.

Upvote 0
Bricked, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, I don't think this method will work for you simply because this is designed to work with the samsung prevail on boost mobile. The hardware in your phone is very different from ours. I would recommend looking for instructions for your specific phone.

If you're unable to find any, begin by downloading and installing the latest version of wifi tether from their googlecode page (NOT the market). Next, try with all defaults and see if you can tether that way. If still unable, try changing the profiles to each one and see if you can find one that works well for your phone.

As you can see here, necrotoxin has found this profile works with our phone simply by trial and error, even though it's not the samsung galaxy indulge that the profile seems to be designed for.[/QUO

i have tried everything and for some damn reason i keep getting the same problem laptop connects but no internet it says dns server not responding

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, which is the newest version:

v3.1-beta7.apk
v3.1 pre101.apk

or something else?

I have been using the pre101 (thanks to TryingToRoot) with no problems. I was on beta6 before that. I think it did reboot on me once when either the battery got low or very hot. But, it runs for hours without a hitch.

Beta 7 is the newest one
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wifi_tether_v3_1-beta7.apk&can=2&q=

Edited: Also, just incase you didn't know, changing your DNS settings to the ones your phone is currently using as its settings seem to optimize my connection. Open terminal, type su for superuser permissions. Then type getprop. Write down your dns settings for dns1 and dns2. Open up tether. Go to settings and enter these as your primary and alternate dns settings. Hope this helps anyone.

Upvote 0

Thanks, TTR. That is what I thought. Already had it installed, but wanted to make sure. Not sure how it could be any better than the pre101. That one turns on and off without having to reboot or toggle wifi, which was a definite improvement. Probably added stuff for other phones.

Upvote 0
Reactions: kinggucci
Upvote 0
To install this simply download to your phone
Using root explorer,or my files, or some other. App to view your SD card. Go to downloads folder click on it. And. Click install. Unknown sources must be checked in settings. Then follow the set up method in first post

thanks for your help...got it up and running..used laptop off it and working good

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones