wireless tether is not working for me, help?

Last Updated:

1. ssddyakno

ssddyakno Well-Known Member

Not sure why. I just got root last night, along with thousands of other people I'm sure.

First thing I did was install incredilight to make sure I had root.

Then I put Wireless Tether on there. It'll create a network that my laptop can see (Windows 7) but my laptop never can get internet access out of it. Always keeps the little yellow triangle with the !.

Anybody had trouble and figured out how to get passed this?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. smaybay

smaybay Member

I'm having the same problems. And here I thought I was the only one.
  3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Use Astro, PC or card reader to see if you have an Android.tether folder on the root of your SD card. It might be worthwhile for somebody to post the folder for download, seems like some or all people using the new method aren't getting the proper files to run tether?? I thought it was floating around somewhere due to similar problems some had using the original method but I haven't found it yet.

Downloading it from the market isn't working correct?
    smurfe likes this.
  4. outsid0r

outsid0r Active Member

This folder is part of the old school rooting guys, look to the posts for that.
    smurfe likes this.
  5. iowabowtech

smurfe and smaybay like this.
  6. incred99

incred99 Well-Known Member

i put the bin file in android.tether folder i had to create, the app starts, but my laptop sees it as a PC to PC connection, not a hot spot

how do i get it to be a wireless network?
  7. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Where is this .bin file?
  8. iowabowtech

fw_bcm4329.bin

Must have an android.tether folder on SD card as mentioned.
    smurfe likes this.
  9. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Ok pc connects, but it's ad hoc, no internet.
  10. iowabowtech

Sorry guys, I gotta hit the road. Hope you guys find a better workaround. There has to be a way.
  11. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Ok man thanks, is there a setting we are all missing or what? Well their page says ad hoc, but I'm not sure what I'm missing? So the.bin works, just something else to do.
  12. iowabowtech

2 files in my android.tether folder (I have working tether):

fw_bcm4329.bin
    wireless_tether_2_0_2-pre14.apk

Not sure why it's not working.
  13. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Well I moved the.apk there too and it's working. Says peer to peer but it's working! Thanks man.
  14. iowabowtech

Cool. which bin download did you use so I can clean up the above posts?
    smurfe, jtcarnes and ssddyakno like this.
  15. Quintessence

Quintessence Well-Known Member

Same issue here, any remedy with the workaround?
  16. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Both of them, I'd guess I could have copied the.apk from market into directory?
  17. outsid0r

outsid0r Active Member

well yeah becuase the phone makes it ad hoc... soooooooo.... its working as designed guys
    smurfe likes this.
  18. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Yeah just threw me because it didn't work before so figured I missed something until I checked their site.
  19. mach330

mach330 Well-Known Member

20. ssddyakno

Sorry y'all. Brand new to this phone, but not to hacking things. What's the quick way to check/move these two files into that directory?
  21. I'm new to this and I don't have a android.tether file after rooting last night with unrevoked. How can I create a android.tether folder. I'm using Astro and cant seem to find it in the sd card root. I want to tether my ipad to it so bad. All I get from wifi tether is a connection but no internet. How do I create this folder and how do I get the .bin file into that folder. Can I just plug the phone into the computer and navigate the sd card and put it in there that way or is there another way to do it.
  22. ssddyakno

Do it on your computer. Go into it via "my computer" and then just create the folder in the root of what is the SD card folder. NOT the phone storage. Then put the wifi tether apk in there as well as the .bin file. I googled the .bin file since the above link is dead. Use this one:

fw_bcm4329.bin

Then you will want to reboot the phone before starting wifi tether. Then go in and start it and it should work.
    smurfe and j-money like this.
  23. TylerM

TylerM Well-Known Member

1) Download a HTC Evo 4g system-dump (use google search - I bet you will find one)
    2) Extract a file named fw_bcm4329_ap.bin (located in /system/etc/firmware)
    3) Mount your sdcard
    4) Create a directory named "android.tether" (without quotes)
    5) Open this directory and copy/move fw_bcm4329_ap.bin into it.
    6) Rename fw_bcm4329_ap.bin to fw_bcm4329.bin
    7) Install the latest versions of "wireless tether"
    smurfe likes this.
  24. j-money

j-money Well-Known Member

Worked like a charm, never got the notification the clients had connected before. now all is good, ran a speed test on my laptop and got 1mb down 512 up
  25. jtcarnes

jtcarnes Well-Known Member

Thanks to this thread, I got mine working too.