Wireless Tether Issue with Evo

Last Updated:

1. iflyhi22002

iflyhi22002 Member This Topic's Starter

Would changing the channel or version help with the getting the actual connection? I finally got the laptop and phone to establish a connection, but I get a triangle with an exclamation point telling me the DNS Server is unavailable. I have the newest version of wireless tether 2_0_5_-pre10, on channel 6, the LAN selected is 192.168.2.0/24and am running Win 7. I can't open a webpage even though it shows connected. When I switch back to my home Wi-Fi everything is fine. I used Unrevoked3. Any help is appreciated. I did check other threads and haven't seen the same issue.

Advertisement
  2. xtravbx

xtravbx Well-Known Member

Do you have static IP / DNS settings on your PC?

3. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

Try another version before you start playing with settings and channels. I tried a couple of versions before I found one that would do more than just make a connection... as you describe. I can't remember if it's Pre-7 or Pre-8, but it works like a champ.

iflyhi22002 likes this.
  4. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

Ive stuck with Pre9 because Im getting 80% the speed of the phones connection itself and its been very reliable for me.

5. sEA

sEA Active Member

Are you using a custom ROM? Sometimes that can make a difference, too. I'm using Fresh 3.2 with pre8, and my wife's EVO is on Fresh 3.3 with pre9. I know this doesn't tell you a whole lot, but sometimes every little bit of info helps.

6. iflyhi22002

No I'm using everything stock-I just used Unrevoked to gain root access, but I haven't changed anything else. I'll try a couple of the other ones tonight.

7. iflyhi22002

Well changing the verison to 7 worked just fine-I didn't really test the speeds or to see if 8 worked better-I just saw the connection, got a page to load and called it good. I'll play with it more this weekend if I get time and report what I find out. Thanks for the tips!

Update-changed to 8 and it's working better. First speedtest-1668 kbps Download, 728 kbps-that's on 3G. Honestly it's like I'm connected to my wi-fi at home. Can't complain at all.