Root Wireless Tether Issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wiltok, Sep 8, 2010.

1. wiltok

wiltok Member

Sep 8, 2010
    EVO with 2.1 rooted with unrevoked3. Installed Wireless tether which is working well. Here is my issue

Advertisement

2. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    International Trade
    Southeast US

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    VIP Member

Jul 7, 2010
    OP said ipad on Evo = 1.2 Mbps

Yeah, not sure why that would be the case. Maybe some speed is lost in the translation from 3g/4g -> wifi. Only thing I can think of that's analogous is how the theoretical max speed of 802.11g is 54mbps, but you never come close to that when doing a PC-to-PC file transfer via the wifi intranet.

4. wiltok

wiltok Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Novex - you are correct - 1.2 down on ipad tethering 4G with my evo.

I am going to try tethering my laptop over 4G next to eliminate the possibility the issue is related to the Ipad.

5. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    I think you misrepresented the various speeds Wiltok cited. The O.P. states that his tower to device (4G) speed is 4-6 mbps. The problem is that the Ipad's network connection through the Evo's 4G only yields 1.2 mbps. Additionally, the Evo loses roughly 30% of his workplace Wi-fi bandwidth.

I'm unfamiliar with the Ipad so I don't know what, if any, anti-virus or firewalls may be on board. I know from experience that Sprint 4G Hotspot Wi-fi tether running 2.1, and AVG don't play well together. I could be getting 8+ mbps tower to device and the laptop would crap out at 1.2 mbps. In desperation for a fix, I prepared to run Trend Micro House Call and uninstalled the AVG. I went to the T.M. site to start the download and thought the laptop was a bit snappier. I ran a speed test and shazam! Problem solved... sort of. The Evo and Hotspot will eat alot of bandwidth (40%-50%). PdaNet will eat considerably less, and Easytether will eat still less yet.

6. surfologist87

surfologist87 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    behind you
    So, are you saying that using your WiFi hot spot will give you a slower download rate than wired tethering?
    I've used 4g with wired tethering (pdanet) and gotten a 7.3 download speed kn my laptop. But i havent gotten to try 4g with wireless. That's interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on that and keep it in mind..

7. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Yes.

I didn't notice any problems with Sprint's Wi-Fi tethering (Hotspot) until after the 2.2 update. Until that point, I was able to stream Netflix (in very good, but sub-HD quality) with no interuptions to the buffer. Post 2.2, Hotspot has been running about 50%-60% of tower to device speeds. To make matters worse, Clear's network speeds in Baltimore have been in the toilet for the past couple of weeks. 50% of 5 mbps is doable. 50% of 2.5 mbps is not.

I installed PdaNet and Easytether (free versions) and tested them back to back with Sprint's Hotspot. Wow!!
    Hotspot 50%-60% through speeds
    PdaNet 75%-90% through speeds
    Easytether 110% throughspeeds.

It would seem that there is some loss to network speed just using the Evo and Flash.
    To be honest, once I saw the first results from Easytether, running any more speed tests seemed like a waste of time.
    Running Easytether, I'm now watching Netflix in full HD, as long as Clear can deliver 5+ mbps network speed. I canceled Hotspot today.

surfologist87 likes this.
  8. wiltok

wiltok Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Wasn't there a change to support "N" networks in Froyo? Take a look at the link below - unless I am confusing things.

[HOW-TO] Enabling Wireless N on Evo- Android Eclair 2.1 - xda-developers

I wonder if that has something to do with your issue? I am still on 2.1 so I thought maybe that is why my Ipad tethering speeds were low. But it doesn't make sense since my work wifi connection is so fast. Again, not a wifi expert so I may not know what I am talking about.

Tags: