Wireless Tether Issue

Last Updated:

1. wiltok

wiltok Member This Topic's Starter

EVO with 2.1 rooted with unrevoked3. Installed Wireless tether which is working well. Here is my issue

Advertisement
  2. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

OP said ipad on Evo = 1.2 Mbps

Yeah, not sure why that would be the case. Maybe some speed is lost in the translation from 3g/4g -> wifi. Only thing I can think of that's analogous is how the theoretical max speed of 802.11g is 54mbps, but you never come close to that when doing a PC-to-PC file transfer via the wifi intranet.

4. wiltok

Novex - you are correct - 1.2 down on ipad tethering 4G with my evo.

I am going to try tethering my laptop over 4G next to eliminate the possibility the issue is related to the Ipad.

5. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

I think you misrepresented the various speeds Wiltok cited. The O.P. states that his tower to device (4G) speed is 4-6 mbps. The problem is that the Ipad's network connection through the Evo's 4G only yields 1.2 mbps. Additionally, the Evo loses roughly 30% of his workplace Wi-fi bandwidth.

I'm unfamiliar with the Ipad so I don't know what, if any, anti-virus or firewalls may be on board. I know from experience that Sprint 4G Hotspot Wi-fi tether running 2.1, and AVG don't play well together. I could be getting 8+ mbps tower to device and the laptop would crap out at 1.2 mbps. In desperation for a fix, I prepared to run Trend Micro House Call and uninstalled the AVG. I went to the T.M. site to start the download and thought the laptop was a bit snappier. I ran a speed test and shazam! Problem solved... sort of. The Evo and Hotspot will eat alot of bandwidth (40%-50%). PdaNet will eat considerably less, and Easytether will eat still less yet.

6. surfologist87

surfologist87 Well-Known Member

So, are you saying that using your WiFi hot spot will give you a slower download rate than wired tethering?
    I've used 4g with wired tethering (pdanet) and gotten a 7.3 download speed kn my laptop. But i havent gotten to try 4g with wireless. That's interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on that and keep it in mind..

7. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

Yes.

I didn't notice any problems with Sprint's Wi-Fi tethering (Hotspot) until after the 2.2 update. Until that point, I was able to stream Netflix (in very good, but sub-HD quality) with no interuptions to the buffer. Post 2.2, Hotspot has been running about 50%-60% of tower to device speeds. To make matters worse, Clear's network speeds in Baltimore have been in the toilet for the past couple of weeks. 50% of 5 mbps is doable. 50% of 2.5 mbps is not.

I installed PdaNet and Easytether (free versions) and tested them back to back with Sprint's Hotspot. Wow!!
    Hotspot 50%-60% through speeds
    PdaNet 75%-90% through speeds
    Easytether 110% throughspeeds.

It would seem that there is some loss to network speed just using the Evo and Flash.
    To be honest, once I saw the first results from Easytether, running any more speed tests seemed like a waste of time.
    Running Easytether, I'm now watching Netflix in full HD, as long as Clear can deliver 5+ mbps network speed. I canceled Hotspot today.

surfologist87 likes this.
  8. wiltok

Wasn't there a change to support "N" networks in Froyo? Take a look at the link below - unless I am confusing things.

[HOW-TO] Enabling Wireless N on Evo- Android Eclair 2.1 - xda-developers

I wonder if that has something to do with your issue? I am still on 2.1 so I thought maybe that is why my Ipad tethering speeds were low. But it doesn't make sense since my work wifi connection is so fast. Again, not a wifi expert so I may not know what I am talking about.