Wireless Tether not working on latest Fresh rom?

Last Updated:

1. Ten Ounce

Ten Ounce Member This Topic's Starter

I recently rooted my phone and flashed the latest version of the Fresh rom and my Wireless Tether app won't work. I did a search on here and on Google and didn't find anything that addressed the issue for the current version of the rom. Is there a way to do it without having to install a kernel? Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Advertisement
  2. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

Try a difrerent version of the app.

3. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

2.0.5 pre9 works for me

4. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish Well-Known Member

I have a similar issue with the latest version. The app starts OK and I can see the hotspot with my laptop, but when I try to connect, I don't get an IP address, and the phone does not show my laptop as a connected device. Rooted, Fresh ROM, latest Clockwork recovery installed. I guess I can try to downgrade and see if that helps.

5. Ten Ounce

What other versions are there? Did you mean different rom?

6. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

7. Thanatos_evo

Thanatos_evo Member

I'm running Fresh 3.3.0.1 and the wifi tether that ships with it (version 2.05-pre9). I'm able to get my laptop and other cell phones to tether with it.

Did you clear cache and other data before getting the Fresh ROM? flipz mentions in his thread that it's not needed if you're just going from an older version of fresh. I went from CM6 to fresh and did a data wipe.

8. Ten Ounce

That might be why yours works and mine doesn't, you have a different kernel. I'm running the stock version that comes with Fresh's rom. The app that I'm trying to use is "Wireless Tether" version 2.0.2 (theory of evolution). I'll try to download one of the other versions in the link that was provided and report back.

9. tmwilsoniv

Just for the record, Pre-8 worked with Fresh's 3.3.0.1. stock kernel on my Evo. I flashed the Netarchy 4.1.9. cfs... on top of the stock kernel (after clearing caches) and changed nothing else. It was a seamless transition.

10. Ten Ounce

I don't remember if I cleared the caches or not. I installed all of the Pre versions on that site and they all do the same thing. I can tell right away it's not working since it shows my download at 0.4kb and my upload at 0.1kb. When I see the network from my laptop it shows like an ad-hoc type of connection rather than a wireless network.

11. jrstinkfish

I did a complete wipe of my phone before installing the latest Fresh, and I still can't get my laptop to connect. I guess I'll try someone else's laptop to rule out mine being the issue.

12. Ten Ounce

Does your phone do the same thing, where it shows a very low upload/download connection?

13. tmwilsoniv

Just a thought, back in June I had MAJOR problems with Sprint's Hotspot tethered download speeds maxing out at roughly 1.5-1.7 mbps using a 4G signal that was delivering 7.5 mbps download speeds on the phone. AVG anti-virus was the culprit. With that removed and replaced with Comodo and Avast, my tethered speeds jumped to 50-60% of device to tower speeds. Hey, 50% of 7.5 is a whole lot better than 1.5.
    I was thrilled.

14. jrstinkfish

It trickles for a few seconds after starting, and stops at 0.4kb down/0.1kb Up.

15. FestoKGB

FestoKGB Well-Known Member

The Wireless Tether app always shows 0.4/0.1 until a device is tethered and starts accessing data.

Here is a screen after I activated the Wireless Tether app...look familiar

[​IMG]

Here is one after the tethered device started browsing the web

[​IMG]

Just because you see 0.4/0.1 as soon as you activate the app doesn't mean it's not working.