Wireless Tether Problems

Last Updated:

1. milo2541

milo2541 Member This Topic's Starter

I an running Baked Snack w/ 2.6.32.15HeroMod Hero@Hero-over #2 for my Kernel. When I activate my wireless tether it shows up on some devices (i.e. laptop and ipad) but doesn't show up at all on most of the cheaper Android Tablets. Even when it connects on my laptop and ipad it doesn't let me access the internet or do anything, it just shows connected. I have a feeling it is the kernel, really just a hunch with no basis in fact or knowledge. It's not so much of a issue right now, because I haven't found a decent android tablet yet, but when I do, I will need functioning tether. I downloaded Barnacle, but havent had a chance to see if I get different results.

Thanks it advance for your help and yes, I searched first.:D

Advertisement
  2. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

If you Dled it straight out of the market, then it likely doesn't work. Try a version that is dated earlier than the current one......this is a known problem.

OOOOOORRRRR......

You could flash a ROM that unlocks the native hotspot app.....and not worry about this problem....

milo2541 likes this.
  3. milo2541

This is interesting, when I turn on the native Hotspot App, it gives me an error message which I dismiss, then is says "Portable Hotspot EVO 7E5C41 active" However I still can't access the internet when I connect with this.

Which ROM would you recommend ? I am partial to the Sense UI.

4. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Myn's warm is Sense based....and some would argue the way sense should be. Check it out!!!

milo2541 likes this.
  5. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member

flyj is right. Go Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code to install another version of wireless tether (pre9 seems to work for most) or flash a ROM that unlocks the hotspot feature. It should be noted, however, that the hotspot feature only works on 3G, and wireless tether app will generally only work around 3G speeds as well.

milo2541 likes this.
  6. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

I concur, had about 2 hours worth of trying to make the Market version to work, it didn't. Went to the site and downloaded the one for my phone. Worked like a charm. :)

milo2541 likes this.
  7. milo2541

Followed your advice and got pre-9 and everything is roses. Thanks again and Happy Holidays to ALL,

Milo

8. frenchy714

frenchy714 Well-Known Member

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Like everyone has mentioned, do not download wifi tether from the market, more than likely it will mess up on you, or not work at all. Go to the above link, choose your phone, and download from the highest number and work your way down. You'll find one that works for you. 11 and 9 always worked for me. Hope this helps!

hortstu likes this.