Wireless Tethering for stock 2.2Tips

Last Updated:

1. bostonsbrash

bostonsbrash Active Member This Topic's Starter

My Evo came with Android 2.2 built in. Would the app Wireless tethering work with my phone? I dont have to root to use this app do I? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

To wireless tether you need to root or pay Sprint 30bucks.
    If you are ok with USB tethering, you can use an app in the market called PDANet. The free version allows limited USB tethering (you cannot use secure (https) sites), or pay for the full version of PDANet and get full internet access via USB tether.

Mountainbiker and bostonsbrash like this.
  3. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member

Another option is Easytether (also from the market). There is a limited free USB tether option or you can pay the $10 for the full version (cheaper than PDANet). Both work well, though.

Race Harley and Mountainbiker like this.
  4. Mountainbiker

Mountainbiker Active Member

I have pda net connected to my hero and works great.
    I tried to connect my friend's EVO via USB tethering using PDA net and could not get it to work, Am I doing some wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated, I would like to upgrade to EVO but a want to keep my internet connection!

Thanks
    :confused::confused:

5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

did your friend have pda.net on his evo?

6. Mountainbiker

Yes, Ver. 2.45, from the Marketplace. I had 2.45 installed on my laptop, the one I've been using with my hero.
    When trying to connect, pda net says that I don't have a network connection.
    Also when I connect the phone it ask me if it is a USB connection which I choose.
    I selected enable debugging on App. Development.
    Also I noticed that I get an error: failed to connect to pcs.sprint, or something like that.
    EVO is running froyo 2.2.
    May be I need to reinstall pda on my laptop with the evo connected to it so it will recognize the phone?

7. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

I had that before I think. Start PDAnet, turn on usb tethering and when you connect to your computer select CHARGE ONLY not the tethering selection.

8. Mountainbiker

Thanks, I'll try it.
    Also I read in other threads that you can connect by selecting "share internet" on the phone. Anybody is still using that on the latest Evo?

9. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I think I recall that you don't want to use the share internet option, that now tries to login to sprint hotspot and thus you get the username error.

it's been a while since I used pda.net but I recall only opening it on the phone, on the laptop, and selecting debug on the phone and charge only

10. Mountainbiker

Yeah, that's the error I'm getting when I choose I. sharing, the threads I read were from May and June, so they may be outdated.
    I'll just be happy to connect to the internet via USB, I dont do it very often anyways. I should try easy tether also, and see what happens.
    Thanks