• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

With Android on the rise, do you think that Apple's iOS is dying?

My Iphone 4 doesn't have that problem, and this game that you are trying to play can be applied to Droid phones as well:

Doesn't a good "cell phone" require you to not be worried about a screen that "separates" from the phone though?

You can simply dismiss my 'screen separating' example if your Droid doesn't have that problem, just like I dismissed your 'make phone calls' argument because my Iphone 4 (and my co workers & friends Iphone 4's) do not have that problem. My point is to prove that we can go back and forth with these kinds of circular arguments.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference.

Only thing I will say about that....the screens on the EVO, X, even the iPhone 4 screens that had the yellow spot were defects...

The antenna issue with the iPhone 4 is by design...A flaw from a defect is alot different than a flaw by design.

Upvote 0
My Iphone 4 doesn't have that problem, and this game that you are trying to play can be applied to Droid phones as well:

Doesn't a good "cell phone" require you to not be worried about a screen that "separates" from the phone though?

You can simply dismiss my 'screen separating' example if your Droid doesn't have that problem, just like I dismissed your 'make phone calls' argument because my Iphone 4 (and my co workers & friends Iphone 4's) do not have that problem. My point is to prove that we can go back and forth with these kinds of circular arguments.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference.

I'm sure they exist, but my point is to illustrate how stupid these made-up-conflicts really are. Who cares if someone prefers Apple over Droid or Honda over Toyota? What does it matter in the end?

I prefer Miracle Whip over Hellmann's Mayonnaise, does that make me a nutritionally illiterate Miracle Whip fanboy? We're not speculating about what steps Hellmann's Mayonnaise will take in the future to overtake it's competitor, nor are we knocking the marketing techniques or CEO of Miracle Whip. That all sounds exceedingly stupid doesn't it? Yet we're doing that with cell phones. Apple users are routinely referred to as technology illiterate fanboys. This thread is baseless speculation between Apple and it's competitors, and Apple's marketing techniques and CEO are bashed all the time. How is any of that any less stupid or pointless than my Miracle Whip vs Hellmann's Mayonnaise made-up-internet-conflict?

I'm sure many of us can readily admit that both Hellmanns and Miracle Whip are good products, but what we like comes down to personal preference. Why can't we do the same with cell phone manufacturers?

It's been taken to a level already that some people literally HATE Apple users. In one thread on these forums, a member said quote: "If Apple and their users were to be erased from the face of Earth tomorrow, absolutely nothing of value will have been lost". We should expect disgustingly demented venom like that to come out of a Klan rally, not a discussion about cell phones. It's pathetic.

ALL iPhone4's have that problem. It's a design flaw, PHYSICAL DEFECT WHICH CANNOT BE FIXED. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Looks like I made someone emotional. Klan rally?

The point may have been a bit extreme, but it's valid nonetheless. I've seen lots of people on this board who are Android fanboys and hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Apple and everything it produces. If Apple came out with a device that cured cancer, they would hate the iCancerCurer with a passion usually reserved for racists and bigots. If Google turned around and produced a device that was known to kill kittens, puppies and small children they would praise the device and sing of it's glories while arguing that the world has far too many kittens, puppies and small children anyway.

Upvote 0
The point may have been a bit extreme, but it's valid nonetheless. I've seen lots of people on this board who are Android fanboys and hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Apple and everything it produces. If Apple came out with a device that cured cancer, they would hate the iCancerCurer with a passion usually reserved for racists and bigots. If Google turned around and produced a device that was known to kill kittens, puppies and small children they would praise the device and sing of it's glories while arguing that the world has far too many kittens, puppies and small children anyway.

I agree 100%. I didn't notice it at first on these boards, but now I've seen that people get extremely sensitive when you criticize (with valid points, not outlandish claims about) Android.

Upvote 0
The thing about Apple is they don't have to be anywhere near leading the market to make a lot of money. The vast majority of iPhone 4 purchasers already owned an iPhone, and will more than likely buy another one next update. At launch the phone was already behind the curve, and it will be completely outclassed within 4-6 months of launch, yet Apple will sill sell them for $199 and $299 after contract up until the next refresh, and people will buy them because it's supposedly cool, hip, and non-conformist. The margins on their devices are huge compared to competing products.

Upvote 0
The thing about Apple is they don't have to be anywhere near leading the market to make a lot of money. The vast majority of iPhone 4 purchasers already owned an iPhone, and will more than likely buy another one next update. At launch the phone was already behind the curve, and it will be completely outclassed within 4-6 months of launch, yet Apple will sill sell them for $199 and $299 after contract up until the next refresh, and people will buy them because it's supposedly cool, hip, and non-conformist. The margins on their devices are huge compared to competing products.

And, at the end of the day, in capitalist economies, that's all that matters.

Perception drives sales. You have to tip your hat to Apple, if just for being a company that is able to shape perceptions.

Now... if we ever get to a point where tech discussion start looking like bigot meetings, we all need to take a step back. Everyone. If we can't have fun with technology, it's a shame. If we can't pick with other tech users in fun, but appreciate the opposing choices, we have problems.

If we are too wrapped up to see that Apple raises the bar for everybody, we are being a tad shortsighted.

Upvote 0
I agree 100%. I didn't notice it at first on these boards, but now I've seen that people get extremely sensitive when you criticize (with valid points, not outlandish claims about) Android.

Not everyone is obviously as bad as the quote i found, but it does illistrate the seethig hatred that exists towards Apple users. Its understandable that some people may dislike apple itself, but for someone to proudly suggest that an entire group of people could be "erased" (who are guilty of nothing more than preferring one brand over another) and "nothing of value would be lost" is simply revolting and beneath his community. I still dont understand how a discussion about cell phones could possibly draw out sick and evil rhetoric like that, but luckily that kind of sentiment is a small minority.

Upvote 0

How exactly is the iPhone behind the curve?

Upvote 0
They're behind the curve as much as any handset on the market. The Nexus One used to be the premier Android handset. Now there are at least 3-4 others that are better. Most handsets in all honesty get outdated in a couple of months.

Exactly, and this is an area that Apple would get a load of flak if they did. Apple releases one handset a year, and gets accused of being outdated by the time its released, but if they 2-3 a year they're greedy and money hungry. However, Android phones are released at a much too rapid pace and are bowed down to by Android fans.

Upvote 0
They're behind the curve as much as any handset on the market. The Nexus One used to be the premier Android handset. Now there are at least 3-4 others that are better. Most handsets in all honesty get outdated in a couple of months.

Hardware wise, it was behind the day it was released. The A4 is clocked at 800mhz, not 1ghz. All benchmarks bear that out. IMO the Nexus One is what it was meant to compete against and it was released 6 months before the iPhone. The screen is nice, but it's just as much a pain to read as the original iPhone at 3.5 inches. Video calling is cool, but that's been available on a lot of phones in the past and hasn't caught on.

The Nexus One still is an excellent handset and has features the summer phones do not have. Plus it will be the first to get updates for a year or two hopefully. It's really pretty comparable to the Evo/DroidX/Galaxy if you aren't clamoring for a bigger screen.

Apple is falling back into their old patterns from the 90's. They are a software company, and they are pretty good at that. Their hardware performance has always been lacking compared to the alternatives, but the style and the brand prestige they have will allow them to maintain a niche fanbase.

Google is also a software company, but they are leaving the hardware up to people who know what they are doing (most of the time anyways:p).

Upvote 0
Exactly, and this is an area that Apple would get a load of flak if they did. Apple releases one handset a year, and gets accused of being outdated by the time its released, but if they 2-3 a year they're greedy and money hungry. However, Android phones are released at a much too rapid pace and are bowed down to by Android fans.

If they did that I wouldnt think of them as money hungry....as long as they targeted different markets. Slide out keyboard, bigger screen, etc...

When has choice ever been a bad thing? There are so many choices for someone who wants to try an Android phone right now its amazing. Low end and high end...

Upvote 0

I don't see how releasing 2-3 phones would be any more greedy than they are now. They will sell the iPhone 4 for full price right up until the launch of the next iteration. You could get the original Moto Droid for free with your contract 6-7 months after it was released.

Upvote 0
Hardware wise, it was behind the day it was released. The A4 is clocked at 800mhz, not 1ghz. All benchmarks bear that out. IMO the Nexus One is what it was meant to compete against and it was released 6 months before the iPhone. The screen is nice, but it's just as much a pain to read as the original iPhone at 3.5 inches. Video calling is cool, but that's been available on a lot of phones in the past and hasn't caught on.

The Nexus One still is an excellent handset and has features the summer phones do not have. Plus it will be the first to get updates for a year or two hopefully. It's really pretty comparable to the Evo/DroidX/Galaxy if you aren't clamoring for a bigger screen.

Apple is falling back into their old patterns from the 90's. They are a software company, and they are pretty good at that. Their hardware performance has always been lacking compared to the alternatives, but the style and the brand prestige they have will allow them to maintain a niche fanbase.

Google is also a software company, but they are leaving the hardware up to people who know what they are doing (most of the time anyways:p).

Apple doesn't need the extra processing power though. Their hardware is so uniquely engineered to work with their software that it isn't necessary. I've yet to hear anyone describe the iPhone 4 as "sluggish" or anything of the sort. It's more than fast enough to run what Apple needs to run on it because they've tailored the software to run on the hardware and vice versa. Android doesn't have that advantage.

You're going to bash the iPhone for only having a 3.5" screen? You realize the DInc only has a 3.7" screen which is not much bigger at all. Some people (myself included) don't care for huge 4 inch screens.

Upvote 0
As an Android owner, who has NEVER owned an iPhone, I think it's safe to say the Apple iPhone and it's OS are not going anywhere. They have a nitch market, there is a hardcore following for those phones. Just like us Android owners have a following for our phones and OS.

It's like Windows Vs. Linux, or Windows Vs. Mac.. I think iPhone iOS is here to stay.

Upvote 0
DailyTech - Report: Android is New Smartphone Market Leader; Passes Apple, RIM

Here is an article showing that android has taken over the smartphone market. It also shows that andriod devices are selling at 100,000 a day. You have to wonder how many of those apples will fall in the next couple years. If android has more users AND has more free apps AND the apps we do have to pay for are cheaper AND more developers get more money for writing apps (not having to pay Apple 25% commission) AND with an open system capable of running flash AND with a new update 3.0 coming in the holidays AND...

It may just be a sign that the Iphone has reached its peak and has no where to go but down in the niche market like the razor was relegated to.

In other news, scientists use common sense to discover that if several phone manufacturers and mobile carriers sell several varieties phones, they will beat out one company selling one phone.

Up next: The Crusades: When will they end?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones