With apps2sd, do all apps go on SD Card

Last Updated:

1. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If you are using apps2sd, will all apps install on the sdcard by default or can some go into internal storage space?

Reason I ask is that I had previously removed ThinkFree Office from my stock ROM for space saving purposes. Now with apps2sd capabilities, I figured i'd reinstall it (from an .apk backup I had) since it would go on the sd card, so I thought. After installing it, it seems like it installed under internal storage space because I lost about 9mb of internal storage, which happens to be the same size as the app itself.

Advertisement
  2. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

apps2sd moves your apps from /data/app to the sd. it won't change anything for /system/app, which is probably where you put thinkfree.

in addition, you'll still lose some space with most implementations because dalvik cache is still stored internally.

flyinjoe13 likes this.
  3. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think I get it. So that means if I download an app from the Market, it will go on the sdcard, but if I manually install an app from a backup .apk file, it will still go into internal storage unless I use a terminal to push it to the sdcard?

4. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

If you install from Market, it goes to /data/app and thus sdcard. If you install via adb push, it also goes to /data/app and thus sd. If you manually push to sdcard or /data/app, it goes there. If you manually push to /system/app, it goes to the /system partition (this is not the /data partition that you're normally worried about saving space on, however).