With ICS, Any Possiblity of Bootloader Unlock, Your Thoughts?

1. DeadChex

DeadChex Well-Known Member

With ICS shipping to Devices soon, and the Fact that Verizion is in trouble with the FCC (It is Illegal for Verizon to Lock Some Bootloaders | xda-developers) not for the Droid 3 however...

Does anyone think that with ICS the Droid 3 may be pushed a new Bootloader as well? The update fits the time frame promised by Motorola to unlock the bootloaders.

Thoughts? Articles? Proof?

Advertisement
  2. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member Contributor

3. redsox985

redsox985 Well-Known Member

I read an article, from a link over on XDA I believe, that said any 4G phone operating on Block C frequencies is required by law to be 100% open source. It was some clause where Google paid 4.6 billion towards buying the Block C frequencies from the FCC where Google mandated any device using the frequencies are required to be entirely open. VZW tired to dodge this, to no avail, but they are apparently still trying to lock boot loaders, so people are petitioning the FCC. What this means for us...IDK! But due to the compatibility between us and the Bionic, which possibly operates on Block C freq's (IDK), we could make some insights from their possible illegally locked boot loader.
  4. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member Contributor

There's a follow-up article on the same site as the link I give above... it's a lot more "legalese" and explains more of the details of that whole block C argument. When that agreement discusses "unlocked" they mean it's useable on other carriers' networks, and it's NOT in reference to the bootloader. Also he states that for the sake of "security" that Verizon's needs override those of the stipulations in the agreement. So, in his opinion (though it's just one person's take) we're screwed.

As far as I'm concerned... with the exception of kernel, which is hopelessly locked at this point and can't be modified or overwritten, we seem to be able circumvent all the other locked attributes. So, I'm pretty happy with what the developers have been able to give us in terms of rooting and installing ClockworkMod recovery. There's a deodexed SBF which allows provides for a lot of extra theme development, so really I good with what we have.
    redsox985 and DeadChex like this.
  5. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Well-Known Member Developer

Just an FYI, it's not illegal for Verizon to lock bootloaders.
    The law/documents state that they can't lock it unless there is a reasonable security risk, and according to Verizon, unlocked bootladers are security issues.
    redsox985 likes this.