• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with moving Apps to the SD card on a Samsung galaxy 551

needhelp12

Lurker
Mar 29, 2013
I have a Samsung galaxy 551 GTI5510M Android version 2.2.2 I just got the thing a few months back.

When I want to do something as simple download new apps the phone it gets full and I can't do anymore yesterday I bought a 32GB SD card for it and again I'm still full. When i link the phone to the computer (USB cable), windows 7 I get: Removable Disk G. The pictures options (none of which work.) General options (open folder and Use this drive for backup.) The open folder makes me a little nervous because what if I move something I'm not suppose to. The bell tech which I had spoken with said that it was simple drag and drop but what and where.

I have no idea how to do this simple task. And also I didn't see my phone
Samsung Galaxy 551 listed anywhere just disk G in my computer. Can someone help as to how I can get my apps on the sd card.

Oh and I think I moved one app to the SD card in the applications it has manage apps I went down that list but for almost all the move to SD card was darkened

Not all apps can be moved to SD .
It is dependent on app developer to allow the move2SD feature

Galaxy 551 has 180-190MB free internal memory and only that many apps can be installed
You cant access internam memory via normal means
The size of SD card is immaterial ...
When you connect the USB cable ,the SD card shows up as G:\Removable disk ...
You can freely access it since you are accessing SD card and not the internal memory ...

Most apps which can be transferred to SD card have the "Move to SD card" option white ...
e.g Opera Browser

When it says "Memory Full" ,it refers to internal memory which cant be increased not the SD card ...

Upvote 0
Hmm yea I understand that the stuff that has been preloaded probably can't be moved to the SD like the 'talkback' app but for an app like 'twitter' or 'who is online' that I downloaded and a few others the 'move to SD card' is dull, but for the 'Facebook messenger' app it could be and was moved to the SD card?

While I'm on this topic how do I move my pictures to the SD card, or was that what the cord was for. I email the pics to myself then move them on to the phone or can I just save to the SD directly

Upvote 0
You can Move pictures via that "cord"
Basically copy pictures to Removable disk (G:)

"move to Sd " feature is subject to developer's discretion ...Basically if it's grey ,you cant do a anything... twitter decided not to allow "move to sd" while FB messenger decided to allow it...

Upvote 0
Anywhere ...Think the SD card as a USB drive ...It doesnt matter where you store since the media scanner detects it anywhere ...Just not in folders with "." extension like ".media" ".android" ..since they are skipped by media scanner .
Make a new folder in case for your convenience

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones