• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help With multiple numbers for contact, unable to select them while messaging !

Ok, the issue is like this:

• I have couple of contacts which have multiple numbers so I added all of those under a single name
  • Now, when I try to message those names, starting from "new message", somehow typing the names in "To" bar does not thrown those names. Instead, it shows some weird number (e.g. 2229 etc) when typing those names

Net result, the contacts are not accessible from messaging application. Now I need to go to the contacts to text them.

Any idea if I have gone "duh" or is there something wrong with 2.1?

Cheers

I have multiple contacts with more than 1 number and do not see this happening.

Yep, I understand and hence my issue :( Not sure why this is happening on my Milestone. And this problem is consistent across all contacts who have multiple numbers tagged against them. And then there are those strange numbers which get shown when typing out their names.

Upvote 0
Yep, I understand and hence my issue :( Not sure why this is happening on my Milestone. And this problem is consistent across all contacts who have multiple numbers tagged against them. And then there are those strange numbers which get shown when typing out their names.

These strange numbers simply correspond to the letters you type. As if you were typing on an ABC keyboard.

Try synchronizing with Gmail, backup your phone contacts to SD and delete all contacts from the phone then. Synchronize with Gmail and see what happens.

BTW. Have you installed a keyboard other than the preinstalled one?

Upvote 0
An update:

I installed Handcent app for messaging and now I can very well see my respective contact with mutliple numbers when I type in the contact name. Hence, my reported issue appears to be an issue with standard messaging app.

For now, I will not pursue this matter to try figure out what is the issue as Handcent does give me lot more options !

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones