• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help With some of the problems, Would you still have purchased your skyrocket?

LiftedBoost

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
What's up guys, Just switched from Sprint to ATT. I went with the samsung gs2 skyrocket. After reading a lot of problems some of you are having. I'm just wondering is this more an isolated problem or do a lot of these phones have some of the issues you all are having? Even with the problems some of you are having are you still happy you bought your skyrocket? I should receive my phone this week. I will have 30 days to decide wether or not I want to trade it in for a different phone. Needless to say(as I'm sure I'm about to get flamed) If the skyrocket craps out on me i'll most likely go to an iphone 4s. I had an Iphone 4 before switching to Sprint where I got my first android phone. So let me say this, I love the android platform so much more than I could ever love the Iphone's OS. With that said......I never had 1 issues with either my 3gs or iphone 4. Where as with my HTC Evo In less than a year I have been trough 4 of them. ....I do not want to end up in that situation again! It sucks having to pay for phone insurance and then shell out a deductible. And in the Skyrocket's case the deductible is $199. So what are your opinions? What can i expect from this phone?

Yep...but I'll still be using mine long after Ed has moved on. I know his type. Unfaithful to a fault!!

aaand, I know MY type. Poor to a fault.

And, I don't actually have any problems other than the fact that my battery indicator might stick at 100% if I'm not careful and use a specific charger and cable that I KNOW causes the problem. My screen looks great, my audio sounds great, my calls are clear, I have no trouble maintaining that data connection of my choosing. I can get a USB connection whenever I want without having to take any extra steps. I haven't tried it with my Jawbone yet so I have no clue about possible bluetooth problems people are reporting. The camera COULD be a little better setup to use but that's why I have a $4000 Canon. (Okay... poor is relative)

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
After using a Blackberry for several years, I was eager to try something else. Wish I'd have been told or researched more about the Skyrocket's battery issues.

I seldom use the phone and only occasionally check emails and read the latest news, and my battery life is horrible. I've searched for solutions and tried everything......but nothing really makes a difference. I hope I never really NEED to use the phone late in the day because I will be SOL.

I find myself scheduling my chores around when I can find time to plug in the Android so it is not just a paperweight.

Upvote 0
After using a Blackberry for several years, I was eager to try something else. Wish I'd have been told or researched more about the Skyrocket's battery issues.

I seldom use the phone and only occasionally check emails and read the latest news, and my battery life is horrible. I've searched for solutions and tried everything......but nothing really makes a difference. I hope I never really NEED to use the phone late in the day because I will be SOL.

I find myself scheduling my chores around when I can find time to plug in the Android so it is not just a paperweight.

having two skyrockets and using them heavily I can assure you that it does not have a "battery issue"

in general android and apple use more battery than other devices because they are doing more, or being used more.

in other cases there are actually things going on that do not need to be, and you have control over most of them.

a dedicated skyrocket battery tips thread is long overdue. I will see what I can do about getting one up and going.

in the meantime check this out

http://androidforums.com/incredible...e-official-htc-incredible-battery-thread.html

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/150799-battery-tweaks-htc-evo-4g.html

those are two of the best battery tip threads ever written. some suggestions will not apply, but a number of them will

Upvote 0

I also came from a BB and i miss my BB, but i do love the SkyRocket..

I do not have ANY of the issues mentioned in any of the threads.. my phone runs perfectly! no screen lines, no camera issues and as of right now, no battery issues..

did you try different ROMs?

i have the NexusMod 2.0 with faux123 kernel + gideonx script

the longest i went before putting into a charger in the last week since i had the ROM was 18 hours... i use it pretty heavily and my screen brightness is set to 60% .. with EVERYTHING auto syncing ...

here is a screenshot of battery usage i took a few days ago after 5h and a bit it shows 83%.. better then 5h on my stock ROM i was down to 30%..

SC20120119-132514.png

Upvote 0
having two skyrockets and using them heavily I can assure you that it does not have a "battery issue"

LOL....OK. I must have a bad battery then. I have followed all the directions and tips I can find and as a result I have a screen too dark to read in bright light, the screen going dark before I can finish reading an email, listening to music is not even an option, I have to manually go to my email programs and see if the correspondence I'm awaiting has arrived yet, and using GPS is a battery killer for sure. No biggie though on that since this phone can't even find what part of Houston I'm in........

I unplugged the phone from the charger at midnight with a full charge. With no use while I slept, I was down 30% by 9am.

Upvote 0
LOL....OK. I must have a bad battery then. I have followed all the directions and tips I can find and as a result I have a screen too dark to read in bright light, the screen going dark before I can finish reading an email, listening to music is not even an option, I have to manually go to my email programs and see if the correspondence I'm awaiting has arrived yet, and using GPS is a battery killer for sure. No biggie though on that since this phone can't even find what part of Houston I'm in........

I unplugged the phone from the charger at midnight with a full charge. With no use while I slept, I was down 30% by 9am.

Sounds like a defective phone.

Upvote 0
Hello i love mine
But i have noticed when i go to school and don't touch the phone for about 7 hrs my battery hasnlost 30 % i make sure all of my apps are close but some seem to re open or never close
And some seem to be open even if i don't remember opening yuem how everbifni turn the phone on flight mode i will only lose 3 percent any suggestion

Upvote 0
LiftedBoost,

I come from Sprint too. Actually, I have been with AT&T for many years, ever since I got my very first cell phone. I never had a single problem with them but the only stupid reason I switched is because I needed a new phone and AT&T (at the time) did not have ANY good Android phones. They were still focusing on that damn iphone. I was desperate and grabbed the HTC EVO 4G the same day it came out. What a mistake this was on every level! The phone was terrible and Sprint service is honestly a joke. I can't believe I switched and even stayed with them for as long as I did. Their 4G is a joke. With AT&T, I now get 4G everywhere with the Skyrocket and not once have I had it fail to keep such service, regardless of where I have been. I don't care what many say about AT&T, you simply cannot beat their excellent reception...period.

Anyways,

There is NOTHING wrong with the Skyrocket or even the Galaxy SII model they offer. Don't be discouraged by what you read. Most of it is just garbage and simply not true. This phone functions flawlessly on every level and if you take the time to research and make an effort to modify the phone, you'll only be more impressed in the end. This is, by far, the best phone I have ever used. Yes, I spent countless hours modifying it exactly how I want it and that certainly paid off. I can't begin to say just how impressive this phone really is. You really can't ask for much more. Yes, the HD LTE model would be nice, but I'm somewhat skeptical about battery life impact. I still would love one though!

This phone will do everything you want it to do. I mean everything, provided that you take the time to research and make the proper changes. There is nothing this phone can't do and I continue to spend hours playing with it to see how far I can take it or unleash additional features I thought were not possible.

LOVE this phone. Screen is spectacular and battery life, despite what you my read, is superb!

--mike

Upvote 0
i have had no issues with the skyrocket for two months. battery life is great, camera is great. hdvideo is amazing. screen is amazing. i use the gps about two hours a day and the drain is very minimal.

i think many of the battery issues might be from what is loaded on the phone, what is configured/running on the phone and people not knowing what the phone is doing.

Upvote 0
Received phone today, Initial review is I'm impressed with how nice the screen quality is. Tried it out in my 2011 F-150 with the sync feature and unlike my shitty Evo 4g that I'd have to restart at times to get the bluetooth to connect to it. The Samsung has yet to fail me with connecting to my Sync system. The second I turn the key the bluetooth connects. Hoping to see good thing's from this phone as the layout is very nice. Will be testing out my battery life tomorrow as I listen to my mp3's all day long while I work. Would love some recommendations for App's to download, Wether it's games or functional apps or just random apps. Some apps can just plain screw up your phone so let me know what's worked for your phone. This phone as nice as it looks does feel on the cheap side. When holding it I feel like I'm going to break it so I bought a case for it today. Very light though which is nice. ;)

Upvote 0
Hello i love mine
But i have noticed when i go to school and don't touch the phone for about 7 hrs my battery hasnlost 30 % i make sure all of my apps are close but some seem to re open or never close
And some seem to be open even if i don't remember opening yuem how everbifni turn the phone on flight mode i will only lose 3 percent any suggestion

Your phone may be looking for signal while you are at school...thus while in airplane mode it isn't stressing out looking for that signal.

you can use the app Network Signal info from the market to track how strong/weak your signal is

now, you could still have an app running/syncing or even a combination of both

Upvote 0
I honestly regret buying the skyrocket. I've had nothing but problems with it since I first got it. I took the phone back 3 times and the 4th one seemed to work ok for a while but know I'm having the same problems again.

Call quality isn't very good, I constantly get told that I sound far away and it drops calls. Bluetooth has been anther problem for me I've tried jawbone,bluant and Motorola and plantronic. I always hear a bit of static or popping when on bluethooth.

Battery life isn't very good either. Maybe I've just had bad luck with this model but I'm not happy with this phone

Reactions: bcbulls16
Upvote 0
Day 2 of my testing on the new skyrocket was decent I feel. The only problem I had was my music player crashed once. As for the battery life which is what I'm currently testing out. Batter said it was full at 9:00PM last night, so I unplugged the charger, set the alarm on my phone which went off at 2:00am this morning. I got to work around 2:40 and from that time until 11:00AM I had my music player playing the entire time with GPS/Wifi and Bluetooth still enabled. Made 2 phone calls which only lasted roughly 3minutes each. Around 11:00am I noticed the battery meter down pretty far so I turned off bluetooth and GPS. Got off work around 2:00pm and turned bluetooth back on. Had one more call that was about 5minutes long. When I got home to charge batter on lock screen said 34%. I used it a little more and finally my batter save mode kicked on(Is set at 30%) all in all I feel that's pretty decent battery life. about 11 1/2 hours of total music playing, Checked email a few times, GPS/Wifi/Bluetooth on for half that time then bluetooth on when I got back into my truck to listen to more music on the way home.

I have only downloaded maybe 3 app's from the app store so this could be why my battery life still seems decent? Or the fact I didnt use the internet/youtube/phone at all today. Love the design and screen and is majorly preferred over the phone 4s. Just hope it will continue to be reliable. Call quality seems to be average among phones.

Upvote 0
What's up guys, Skyrocket has been pretty good but I'm having one issue you may be able to help me figure out. there have been a few times where my phone did not ring and no call came in, But a few minutes later I had a voice mail. So someone will call me but it will not ring and will not show I had a missed call. Any idea's?

Upvote 0
i keep reading how one of the advantages to having the skyrocket over the iphone is having access to the battery. look you can tweak your battery saving app all day if you want. i chose to buy a battery/charger kit for $40. my phone cost $115 - total is $155. now i no longer worry about my usage. unlike many members here, i will not be getting the next "new" phone. i expect to use this phone for at least one and a half years.

i would suggest if you're not a tech geek and will have this phone for a while, invest in a battery/charger kit. i can not tell you how it has changed my user experience. i am no longer anxious about my battery life and see myself using more than the than 1 gig i used with my iphone.

Upvote 0
I'm not happy with my Skyrocket. I'm on my second. My wife on the other hand, loves hers. I don't know why, but for some reason, her phone gets about twice the battery life as mine. She runs widgets and leaves programs running that burn up CPU time, and does not use the Power Saving Mode.

I on the other hand, do none of those things and do run PSM and get significantly less performance. Neither of us are power users and I rely on LTE much less than she does.

Today, for example, she's now gone more than 30 hours w/o a charge and is at 50%, I'm at 8 hours and I'm at 73%. We're both at home and have been connected to WiFi the entire time. Same screen on time (+/- 2 or 3 minutes), same phone call time (+/- 1 m) Same basic all around usage (actually, her phone shows that it's been more "active" than my phone).

25% or more of the battery to sit on my kitchen counter and making only a 4 minute phone call is pretty crazy.

I do use Yahoo! mail, but that's about it. I've deleted everything that can be deleted off the phone (things like FB, as an example) One thing I noticed is that in PSM the signal strength was about 10 to 15% lower.

Suggestions!?!

ATT, while polite and sort of helpful, doing things like replacing the phone, but have not done much else. Actually, some of their advice has been plain bad.

Upvote 0
So an update from my post yesterday:

After some reading, I went ahead and deleted Yahoo! mail. Net result? No change. After more than 3 hours my wife's Skyrocket was at 92% and after 1 1/2 hours my phone was the same. Nearly the same usage minutes on all of the activities. So, screen on time was less than 6 minutes for either phone. She was running things like FB, etc. I'm running only the stock email program...

Annoying.

Upvote 0
I have had "tons!" of problems with my skyrocket. I am on my second one and the same problems all over again. I see so many posts with happy users, that it's refreshing to see someone else having problems other than poor battery life. Not that I wish you bad luck with this phone, but with the amount of problems I have had with two of these, you begin to wonder....do I even have the same phone as these other people! My issues on both phones have been overheating during calls (after 3-5 minute calls, phone gets blazing hot) repeated dropped calls, bluethooth connectivity issues, unable to stream audio from net without constant buffer, apps freeze, call quality, phone freezes...the list goes on. There isn't one day that I am not confronted with an issue with this phone. So actually yours might not have been so bad, unless you didn't list all of the faults! I can't believe you've been able to get 4 of them...it took me over two months just to get my first replacement!

sharing your pain,
Steven

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones