With the new Bootstrap version, could I theoretically

Last Updated:

1. bosox2k1

bosox2k1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Could I go into bootstrap recovery and apply my backups from a couple nights ago (pre 2.2 update) and have it restore correctly to my rooted 2.1 overclocked/themed phone?

Or is that a hell no?

Advertisement
  2. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

No one is sure yet. Someone needs to try it first...nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

3. bosox2k1

bosox2k1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If I was near someone like droider, dark matter or fab (many others too!) I would do it cause they could help me get it back with an SBF. I doubt I would do it alone unless I had some of those guys online with me via skype or AIM to walk me through the shit I would have to get through :)

4. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to try it myself. I have everything I need and I know the sbf works for me so I may try it later.

5. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

I won't try to run 2.1 stuff on the new kernel bad things could happen.

6. sodaboy581

sodaboy581 Well-Known Member

You'll brick your phone.

You should only restore 2.1 backups with a 2.1 kernel and 2.2 backups with a 2.2 kernel.

If you want to go back to 2.1, you need to wipe user data, wipe cache, restore SBF, root with universalandroot, install the Bootstrapper, then restore your backup. :p

7. Crane

Crane Member

I tried it - of course it bricked when trying to boot after installing the backup file. However, when I flashed the sbf everything came back just like it was before I updated. I'm not an expert on how all of this stuff works, but for whatever reason I did NOT have to re-install the bootstrapper to restore my backup. It just came up (minus root) after installing the sbf. I did have to do a *228 to program the phone afterwards (I was getting a little blue triangle roaming thing in the notification bar).

My only guess is that whatever got installed when it tried to restore the backup was then picked up by the sbf restore after it bricked.

I've done it twice now - mostly just to see if I could. It really isn't very hard to get it back just like it was prior to updating.

8. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

if you do ever need to use the sbf, check out this link... instructions (and links to download everything) are right near the bottom, highlighted in yellow. it's (almost) foolproof.
    Droid X

9. pjsockett

pjsockett Well-Known Member

It doesn't work. The bootloader and recovery versions are updated in 2. 2 but aren't part of the backup image. You get stuck at the MOTO logo and have to flash the sbf