WMV/AVI player for Android??

Last Updated: 2011-09-27 23:18:23
  1. twinsmom

twinsmom Member

will it work on files that aren't xvid? I've got some that my kids love, that the phone doesn't even recognize are on the card, though it reads and plays the xvid ones.

Advertisement
  2. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

I don't know what file format you're talking about, but rock supports a whole bunch! Just try it or look up the supported formats on their site (don't remember the address exactly)

Tapatalk
  3. superandroidkid

superandroidkid New Member

I've recently found a video player that plays avi and wmv files. Its called rockplayer and you can find it on the android market. It works great on my htc desire. Give it a try :)
  4. 7thson

7thson Active Member

Can anyone tell me if rock player allows you to stream videos that are stored elsewhere on your network over wi-fi? Thanks.
  5. fabler

fabler Well-Known Member

I think.. NO.
    7thson likes this.
  6. 7thson

7thson Active Member

That's a bummer! I watch streaming video on my HD2 every night before I go to bed (helps me fall asleep). I want to switch to a nexus one but this issue is a big one for me.. Are there any other players that will stream divx/avi over wifi to the phone?

PS - I use TCPMP on winmo on my HD2.
  7. cigar3tte

cigar3tte Well-Known Member

Videos on the LAN or some Internet website?
  8. 7thson

7thson Active Member

LAN. Just the videos on my home computer.
  9. fabler

fabler Well-Known Member

RealPlayer and DoubleTwist player can stream.. But it's from internet. I don't know any of the LAN player.
  10. 7thson

7thson Active Member

Hmm I suppose I'm keeping my HD2 for a little while longer..
  11. fabler

fabler Well-Known Member

Yeah.. I will let you know if I find something.
  12. 7thson

7thson Active Member

Thank you. Part of my reason for wanting to switch to Android was the plethora of available apps and I assumed there had to something available that would allow me to stream video off the LAN over wifi. I'm surprised that tons of people aren't interested in this to be honest!
  13. fabler

fabler Well-Known Member

what application are you using on HTC HD to stream?
  14. fabler

fabler Well-Known Member

15. 7thson

7thson Active Member

I'm using TCPMP on my HD2, it works flawlessly. I can stream an entire movie and it might hiccup maybe one time.

I'll check out Gmote and VLC, I'm actually dual booting Froyo on my HD2 so I can test these, thanks!
  16. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Gmote was one of the first apps I downloaded to my nexus, the streaming playback was in beta back then. And guess what, it still is!
    This app hasnt updated even once and the streaming is pretty poor.

Great pc remote though!
  17. E.Ninja

E.Ninja New Member

I have been researching streaming media to my android phone for what seems like decades now... even though i have only had my phone for 3 months.

Previously i used my omnia i910 to stream media off my PC with orblive, which worked great. Omnia i910 had coreplayer stream the media, orblive has a great interface (used media skin) and listed all my videos/mp3's

Not so great of a story on my Motorola droid. Great phone... but wtf? Cant stream avi's, wmv's and the 3g encryption doesnt look great. Ive looked into VLC but it looks like a pain to setup. GMOTE wont stream avi (i have rock player but you can make that your default media player to actually stream AVI's) and orblive will stream flash... but its not THAT great, maybe jumps around from 10-20 fps'ish

My question is there any update to the streaming/video playback on the droid yet? Something easy like orblive and a media player that will play AVI's or WMV's.
  18. fabler

fabler Well-Known Member

I think .. realplayer for android also stream media.. But won't play AVI or WMV I think..
  19. MI75

MI75 New Member

+1 to Rock Player. Even subtitles supported.
  20. fabler

fabler Well-Known Member

Yes.. agreed. It is really awesome. ... Just it require to add streaming support. Then it will be really rocking player.. ;)
  21. E.Ninja

E.Ninja New Member

Exactly... Rockplayer (could) be great but I cant make Rock Player my default media player/doesnt stream. I can stream avi's VIA flash, but the frame rate isnt great.

No solutions? Is android really behind (far behind) a windows mobile device? My omnia i910 with coreplayer and my PC serving my library with orblive is great... but... my droid cant do that?
  22. fabler

fabler Well-Known Member

Give some time to android buddy... It's still in growing phase... a third party applications will be available soon I think.
  23. leechgod27

leechgod27 Member

yes rockplayer is good but dont you people find it a bit laggy??Indeed it is laggy....i heard vplayer betaa is better for avi,but didnt find it anywhere,even in market....downloaded its .apk but when it installed it said this copy has expired!!!!
  24. bpalanikumar

bpalanikumar New Member

rockplayer and vplayer works well even .avi, .wmv. divx any files all are played