1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Wobbly charger port on Samsung Galaxy Nexus?Support

1. bethjadecole

bethjadecole New Member

Hi everyone, I've had my Nexus phone for about 8 months now and when I plug the charger in the USB cable seems to be loose. It still charges the phone but I'm worried that over time the charger will become too loose that it won't work anymore. I have used the charger that came with the phone since I got it. I just wondered if it is normal that its supposed to be a bit wobbly or if I should take it back to the shop? I'm on contract and have insurance so that should cover the repair if needed to be taken back. Any info/advice will be great thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Try a different microUSB cable. I have a hard time believing its the actual port, as those tend to last a long time. I would at least recommend buying a cheap cable before sending it in for an expensive and inconvenient repair.
  3. bograma

bograma Member

I have mine for a year and some months and already changed the microusb once. I started noticing it will fail while charging on the car - sometimes it wouldn't charge. Sure enough, a month later the port failed. Now it started acting up again, so I guess it will be 2 months and it will fail again. It's a known issue.
  4. CharlzO

CharlzO Well-Known Member

I'd have to advise trying a new cable as well, at least to check. I've had mine since launch, and while my vehicle charger feels very loose in the port (still charges though), my house charger still fits it nice and snug.
  5. rparra14

rparra14 Active Member

I had my usb port on my phone replaced by samsung about a month ago because it fried itself. The port was flaky for a few months before, sometimes showed it was charging when it wasn't then it fried one day. I think the charging connector that it comes with is elongated and allows the usb port to be bent over time. After getting it replaced I bought a 90 degree angled usb cable off amazon and use that instead. -Ryan
  6. drmoses

drmoses New Member

I've had the same issue (I think). wobbly cables, then the charging signal would intermittently light up thinking it was charging when not even plugged in. This has been going on for several months. Yesterday, went to unplug my phone from charging, burned my fingers because the entire bottom half of the phone was so hot. Noticed some smoke and burnt smell and sure enough the port/cable was starting to melt and had burned the port. Somehow after it cooled down the phone still worked with a spare battery but the port itself is gone...

However I have noticed a significant improvement in battery life. Fully recharged battery (2100mAH) placed this morning, 14.5 hours later at 54% battery life with moderate usage (downloading files, browshing, texting, phone calls, timers/alarms, updating apps, etc. on wifi) all day. I'm beginning too think it was a faulty microusb connection that gave me such poor battery life since now that it's gone it has improved so much.
  7. zimms

zimms Member

What do you use now to charge the battery? Think a buddies charging port did the same thing. Was wondering if they make a charger for the side or go with two batteries and a external charger?
  8. TritonDroid

TritonDroid Well-Known Member

I thought mine was loose too as it would have play(left/right) when cable was connected. I tried moving the connection with a screw driver and it is rock solid.

Mine appears to be play at the cable end not USB port.
  9. dhworph

dhworph Well-Known Member

I find that cables wear out pretty quickly. depending on the cable I use, my phone will sometimes lose a connection if I pick it up at just the right angle. The this stock samsung cable is much worse than my old thick blackberry cable.
  10. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

Try to look in the port on the phone and see if there is stuff stuck in it. I know mine did this because of pocket lint, clean it out with a needle and it was tight again.