Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!General

1. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Wolfson DAC confirmed by Supercurio.

Audio codec:

Wolfson Micro WM1811
    Audio Hubs | WM1811 | Wolfson Microelectronics
    100dB SNR Class W Heapdhone amp output, ReTune DSP, 3x digital interface.
    Like WM8994 in Galaxy S / Nexus S, except:
    1x stereo DAC instead of 2x.
    2x 2W Speaker amp instead of 2x 1W
    Smaller and probably cheaper, same sound quality expected.

Audio driver configuration & policy implementation based on TinyUCM (/etc/tinyucm.conf)
    Probable subset of TinyHAL implementing codec configuration in config files instead of having everything hardcoded in ROM or kernel driver at compile time.

Native sampling rate: 44100 Hz. It means music played will be sent as-is to the DAC instead of being processed by a software up-sampling routine as it is on Galaxy Nexus or other devices with codecs accepting only 48000 Hz.

AWESOME.

Advertisement
    xtop likes this.
  2. Codec

Codec Well-Known Member

3. NZtechfreak

It means the audio quality will be amazing, is what it means.

Especially now he has confirmed it is Voodoo Sound capable.

(he also indicates drivers for USB Audio, but says not sure if they will work or not)
  4. zanza

zanza Well-Known Member

But is it dr dre beats?
    Android26 likes this.
  5. NorthernNoel

NorthernNoel Well-Known Member

6. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member

Now if only Sammy would sign a deal with Metallica to do their audio hardware like HTC did with Dr Dre...

That would be candy to my ears.

Andy
    zanza likes this.
  7. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Glad to hear they are taking this more seriously now. I use my Note for most of my music listening so this is a BFD.
  8. ExtraCrispy

ExtraCrispy Well-Known Member

Remember the US versions will probably have Krait S4 which has a builtin DAC in the SoC, so they most likely won't get the Wolfson.
  9. seeingwhite

seeingwhite New Member

I wasn't aware of that. Do you know what DAC is built into the Krait SoC? Is it any good?
  10. NZtechfreak

By the looks of GSMarena's review and RMAA measurements the DAC in the One S (which also has the Krait S4) looks good, very good even (althought there are lots of potential problems with RMAA measurements, and I'm aware that Supercurio has criticised their methodology in the past, but it's at least a good indication of a decent quality DAC).
  11. seeingwhite

seeingwhite New Member

Thanks. I just googled and found a post on Head-Fi from a guy that said the S4 Krait DAC will be better than the one in the international HTC One X, but inferior to the international S3 (Wolfson). Not sure if he's right, but it's a bummer if he is.
  12. ExtraCrispy

ExtraCrispy Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter if we don't get VoodooSound support for the new DAC which is what made it so great in the first place. HTC is emphasizing Beats audio (nothing but an equalizer that destroys dynamic range) so that tells you they don't really want to focus on the DAC without that applied.
  13. NZtechfreak

Heh, that's my post at Head-Fi!

I think it is likely to be inferior to the Wolfson'd international S3.

Worth bearing in mind that it remains to be seen whether Samsung's implementation of the Wolfson here does it justice, there is more to it than just the DAC - RF Sheilding, it's placement in proximity to other internals etc etc. It's the reason why the LG 2x sounds rather poor even despite the presence of a Wolfson DAC. Until users get actual ears-on we won't know for sure.
  14. seeingwhite

seeingwhite New Member

Crazy coincidence. :D

Good info, though, thanks.
  15. BigHamDroid

BigHamDroid New Member

Hi Team,

First post here. Many thanks for the info on the S3 Wolfson DAC.

My first question is, would there be any way to play back high resolution 24/96 FLAC files through the Wolfson, when the Android OS hardcodes the hardware audio format to 16-bit/44.1kHz?

Second, if there is a way to playback hires files - how could a guy in California make sure to get a phone with the Wolfson DAC?

Thanks!
  16. jamisont

jamisont Well-Known Member

deleted
  17. NZtechfreak

I've not tried it myself, but Neutron MP claims to have support up to 32-bit with it's own decoding engine.