• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wonder how sturdy the power button is..

ruriimasu

Dec 21, 2010
I've just got my Optimus one for less than a week and I just love it. It does not have a phone memory that is big but it does one thing that no other phones could do at my workplace, that is to function as a cell phone. My workplace has horrible cell phone signal but the dual antenna of this phone just blew off this problem :D

Now my only concern is that i often have to turn on the phone aka press the tiny power button, and wonder often will it fail? It doesnt look like it could last many presses, especially when i try to feel and press in the dark! :eek: How many of you share the same sentiment?

I've just got my Optimus one for less than a week and I just love it. It does not have a phone memory that is big but it does one thing that no other phones could do at my workplace, that is to function as a cell phone. My workplace has horrible cell phone signal but the dual antenna of this phone just blew off this problem :D

Now my only concern is that i often have to turn on the phone aka press the tiny power button, and wonder often will it fail? It doesnt look like it could last many presses, especially when i try to feel and press in the dark! :eek: How many of you share the same sentiment?

hi there,
well for my p500 i've received a silicon cover. The power button is very well covered by the cover. I don't thing that will fail if it is pressed many times.
I can post pics with the cover if you want.

cheers

Upvote 0
yes i'm pretty sure.all the phone is covered by the silicon cover.only the display and the bottom buttons will not be covered :).
so when you press the lock/power on button, you will not be forced to press very hard because the cover has it's own buttons that will press on the covered button.
i can post pics if you want to see.

Upvote 0
Why would you need to turn the phone on/off several times? You can disable almost everything through the status bar. In my experience, I have found that re-booting smart phones in general use a lot of battery as compared to just leaving them on standby.

no, i didnt make myself clear. its actually to switch on/off the screen. i always switch off the screen to conserve power. unless there is a way to switch off the screen which i dont know yet.... since i just recently realised i can switch on the screen by pressing any of the 4 buttons below :p

Upvote 0
i have mine set to 30s as well.. but there are 2 reasons why i will want to switch off the screen, #1 being to conserve power, #2 i dont want to accidentally trigger anything while the screen is still active in my pocket. that is why i find a need to switch off the screen. anyway i ordered a silicon sleeve for it and hope it helps :)

Upvote 0
yes i'm pretty sure.all the phone is covered by the silicon cover.only the display and the bottom buttons will not be covered :).
so when you press the lock/power on button, you will not be forced to press very hard because the cover has it's own buttons that will press on the covered button.
i can post pics if you want to see.

Hi
where did u got the silicon cover? appreciate few pics

Upvote 0
hi guys
here are the pictures of my silicon cover.
the silicon cover was a gift when i bought the phone from my carrier (Vodafone Romania)

Attachments

• Fotografie195.jpg
    Fotografie195.jpg
    685.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Fotografie196.jpg
    Fotografie196.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Fotografie197.jpg
    Fotografie197.jpg
    772 KB · Views: 70
  • Fotografie198.jpg
    Fotografie198.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Fotografie199.jpg
    Fotografie199.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Fotografie200.jpg
    Fotografie200.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Fotografie201.jpg
    Fotografie201.jpg
    688.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Fotografie202.jpg
    Fotografie202.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Fotografie203.jpg
    Fotografie203.jpg
    721.8 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
The silicon cover spoils the look of the phone :( the thing becomes bulky and u cant show off :D:D.. I think the screen protector and the cover which comes with the phone is enough provided u handle the phone carefully... I already have some scratches on the screen protector.. :( need to change it once in 3 months...

i bought this phone for me not to show off :). i will keep it covered with the silicon cover to keep it save from scratches :).

Upvote 0
mine is already full of scratches just after 2 weeks :p i wonder will the silicon skin be of any use after it arrives since my phone's already so battled. for those of you who are wondering what i have in my pockets, they are a big bunch of keys, flashlight (with aggressive knurlings) and some multitools. well, i think the silicon cover will protect it from drops at the very least. :D

Upvote 0
mine is already full of scratches just after 2 weeks :p i wonder will the silicon skin be of any use after it arrives since my phone's already so battled. for those of you who are wondering what i have in my pockets, they are a big bunch of keys, flashlight (with aggressive knurlings) and some multitools. well, i think the silicon cover will protect it from drops at the very least. :D

I keep the keys from my car and home in the same pocket with the phone and the silicon cover it's doing a very good job to protect the phone :)

Upvote 0
I've taken the phone apart. It's pretty solid. All the power button is, is a little peace of plastic held on by the phones enclosure ontop of a sensor thats attached to the mainboard.

You have to unscrew the 6 screws in the back, then run you nail between the back and front of the case pushing in the tabs that hold the case together while pulling it apart. After that unscrew the mini USB mount at the bottom. Now there is some ribbon that goes from the screen to the mainboard and the volume/on-off buttons be careful not to break them. Pull the mainboard away from the screen with out pulling them completely apart so you dont break the ribbons. then you can slightly bend the cover to pop out the screen.

I took it apart becasue I needed to clean dust that got under the plastic.

I'm not telling anyone it's safe or to do it. It's just what I did.

Upvote 0
I've taken the phone apart. It's pretty solid. All the power button is, is a little peace of plastic held on by the phones enclosure ontop of a sensor thats attached to the mainboard.

You have to unscrew the 6 screws in the back, then run you nail between the back and front of the case pushing in the tabs that hold the case together while pulling it apart. After that unscrew the mini USB mount at the bottom. Now there is some ribbon that goes from the screen to the mainboard and the volume/on-off buttons be careful not to break them. Pull the mainboard away from the screen with out pulling them completely apart so you dont break the ribbons. then you can slightly bend the cover to pop out the screen.

I took it apart becasue I needed to clean dust that got under the plastic.

I'm not telling anyone it's safe or to do it. It's just what I did.

Do you mind posting a pictorial guide? :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones