• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Won't boot past the 'HTC' welcome screen

gemma-anne

Lurker
May 30, 2011
Earlier today i was listening to music on my phone whilst downloading a few apps. I put my phone down and it went into standby whilst playing the music and downloading the apps. I tried to unlock the phone but no screen would come up, yet my music was still playing and therefore i knew that my phone hadn't turned off for some reason. After the song had finished, instead of going onto the next one, the phone just did nothing. I took the battery out, left it for a few minutes (incase it was merely a case of the battery overheating) and put it back in. When i then turned my phone on it went onto the 'HTC' welcome screen and just stayed on it until i then took the battery out again to turn the phone off. I have done this many times since and i always get the same.
I have tried to do the recovery but all i get is a black screen with a picture of the phone lying down with two green arrows forming a circle with a downward pointing arrow in the middle. My phone then vibrates a few times and that is it.
Has anyone got any ideas how to resolve this?

What's interesting - I 've managed to start it once after a couple of resets (by removing the battery). It worked until I turned off the phone and changed to the other battery. I'm not sure why was that. I was trying to remove SD and SIM card in multiple combinations but not sure if this affected the startup process.

Haven't done a factory reset yet.

Upvote 0
The factory reset doesn't seem to work - it just hangs after choosing the "FACTORY RESET" menu option with a power button.

HTC (EU) replied simply - try a factory reset. If it doesn't solve the problem, then send it for the repair.

UPDATE: In my Desire Z the motherboard was replaced so it was some kind of hardware issue. Now I lost my trust to HTC products... I will better do backups more frequently....

Upvote 0
My phone froze tonight and the only way I could switch it off was by removing the battery.

On switching it back on it now goes no further than the white HTC screen.

My PC recognises that it's been plugged in to it, but HTC Sync doesn't it seems. Don't know what to do but don't want to do a factory reset - I am expecting the worst though as the thing seems dead.

Anyone know what might cure the phone?

J

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones