1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Won't charge past 68%Support

1. cpolek1020

cpolek1020 Member

I bought an HTC One V for Virgin Mobile. I haven't activated it yet, but I've been using it on WiFi and getting it all set up (downloading apps, getting used to the phone, adding contacts, setting up email, etc.).

I noticed 2 days ago that it was weird that the phone didn't last me all day without a charge, but I assumed it was the phone "getting used to my habits", as I've read about. Last night around 5pm I turned the phone off, put it on the charger, and left it alone. Around 10pm I turned it back on and it was only at 68% charged. I thought, whatever, it'll charge by morning, and left it on (screen off). This morning at 4:30am I looked at the Battery screen (in Settings) and it said "68% - discharging" !!!! I unplugged it from the wall and got "68% - not charging", which is to be expected. Then I plugged it back in and it says "68% - charging". It has been plugged in since then (about 90 minutes) and it hasn't charged any further.

Any ideas? I'm running a standard phone here, no rooting or whatever. I am using the wall charger that came in the box from Virgin Mobile.

Please help!!

Advertisement
    :
  2. cpolek1020

cpolek1020 Member

UPDATE: I saw somewhere that since you can't remove the battery there's another way to basically "remove and reinsert" the battery. For anyone who comes to this forum looking for an answer: hold the power button for 10 seconds and your phone will reset. For now, my problem is fixed. :)
  3. SleepyheadKC

SleepyheadKC Member

Others have reported the same issue issue where the phone doesn't appear to charge past a certain percentage. It's happened once to me. The best resolution has been to let the battery run down all the way to empty and let the phone shutdown. After that, it will charge to 100% again.

Some people suspect that the phone is charging fully, but that the phone/Android simply isn't displaying the percentage correctly.
  4. cpolek1020

cpolek1020 Member

Thanks for your help!

How long should the re-charge from 0% battery take, using the wall charger?
  5. SleepyheadKC

SleepyheadKC Member

I don't recall how long mine took from 0, but my One V always charges reasonably quickly. For example, this morning my phone was at 35%, and it charged to 100% in about 90 minutes.
  6. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

When it stops charging do the hold power button reset method it will reset and will come back on at 100%
  7. cpolek1020

cpolek1020 Member

OK... So is this something I should be concerned about? I bought the phone just 2 weeks ago, so I can return/get a replacement if that's a better idea in the long run...
  8. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

9. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

Too funny I forgot I even wrote that thread. Go ahead
  10. cpolek1020

cpolek1020 Member

Hah. I wasn't sure what the difference was until I opened both links. What is bootloader? Is that something for rooted devices? If so, this is not a rooted device...
  11. Ssscrudddy

Ssscrudddy Well-Known Member

I read this on a different forum

"Had the same issue after a couple weeks of getting my one v. Phone wasnt charging past % and kept saying discharging. Found a solution: 1. Go to power settings turn off fast reboot or boot 2. Turn off phone and charge.
    Don't turn it on till the led turns green.it should charge all the way to 100%."
  12. cammykool

cammykool Well-Known Member

this is happening EVERY NIGHT
  13. Oldsig

Oldsig Member

If I do not turn off fast-boot and then turn the phone off before charging it, the green light never turns on and the battery thinks that it’s around 80% charged. I am probably bothered more by the green light not turning on. It is a quick indicator that it is charged and I can unplug it.

This seems to be a lot of work to get the phone to report that it is 100% charged (green light and internal readout). There may be other work-arounds but we should not have to do anything but plug the phone in!!
  14. 1stkira

1stkira Active Member

I had this happen yesterday. I woke up unplugged my phone, it had been charging all night, and the battery was only about at 80 percent. I held the power button down about 10secs and mine was fully charged again. Strange...
  15. 1stkira

1stkira Active Member

Now this is happening to me and my one v everyday.
  16. MaeMaeFlokah

MaeMaeFlokah New Member

You have to turn it off then back on.. It's a glitch if you don't let your phone die the first week you get it.
  17. strtj

strtj Member

I don't think this has anything to do with how new the phone is or whether or not you let the battery go through a full charge/discharge cycle. I got a brand new One V and I had this problem on the second day I owned it. I let the battery discharge all the way and then charge back to 100% uninterrupted, phone was fine for a day or two, then I started having the problem again.

Since rooting and clearing the Dalvik cache I haven't seen the problem again, but it's only been four days. No idea if this is a permanent fix, but clearing the Dalvik cache never hurt anything...
  18. RyanSupertramp

RyanSupertramp Well-Known Member

I've also had this same issue. It looks like it isn't charged all the way, but if I power cycle, it shows 100%...Oh well, as long as my battery is charged, I don't really care that much..
  19. cpolek1020

cpolek1020 Member

UPDATE:

I ran a software update (to software version 1.08.652.11 710RD) and this problem is now fixed!