Won't charge when gets overheated?General

Last Updated: 2011-08-22 03:47:46
  1. johnb41

johnb41 Well-Known Member

I just noticed this today. I was using the Navigation in the phone in the car while it was being charged. The charger was working fine, then after a while it wasn't charging anymore.

I noticed a blinking red light at the top of the phone. Normally when it's charging it's just solid red. The phone definitely felt pretty hot.

It was fairly hot in the car, and the sun was shining through the windows making it even hotter. Later on when the phone was cooled, the charging continued to work, but then again stopped after about 10 minutes. Even after I got home, I tried charging on a regular charger and it still wouldn't charge until cooled down.

This is a real problem if I need the Navigation for a long period. :(

Has anyone else noticed this?

Advertisement
  2. tickerguy

tickerguy Well-Known Member

Thermal management is a good thing, not a bad one. Overheated lithium batteries (which are what's in a phone) WILL catch fire.
  3. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

This is a safety feature, use (charging and discharging) of the battery causes heat, too much heat for a battery shortens the lifespan and can cause catastrophic failure (fire and explosion).
  4. joop1987

joop1987 Member

This is a normal thing all cell phones do. My Iphone 3G did exactly the same thing. It prevents the bettery from getting damaged, puffing up, and exploding. The sensor doesn't know if the heat came from the battery charging up, or from the sun.
  5. johnb41

johnb41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's great that it won't explode, but it sucks that I can't depend on navigation when it's sunny out! Well, as long as it's normal, I guess I can live it it. :)