• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wont power up!

Hi all,
My LG e980 (optimus pro g) died in the middle of the night. I woke up and it was black. Unplugged and replugged in and it displayed the charging 76% symbol. So I hit the power button and it just went black. Missing my phone big time as I had to buy a small windows phone to get me by.
Oh, and my phone was 1 year and 2 weeks old...so 2 weeks out of warrantee.
When I attempt to power it up, the two "buttons" lower left and right front flash and that's it.

Any ideas? I replaced the board on the inside where the power plugs into. No luck. Tried a replacement battery at the store..no luck.

Thanks,
Mark

I no longer see the battery symbol. The only thing that happens now is the two so called buttons, bottom left and right, flash once or twice..I forget. But I tried calling the phone and no ring. That's why I kind of thought that its not the screen. And I know absolutely nothing about sdk.
However, when I do plug my phone into my laptop...my laptop makes that "connecting usb" sound then it goes away.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'd love to get my phone back up and working.

Upvote 0
Why would it ring if it's not on? Have you try hard reset? Hold the down not up (that's '-' ) volume button and the power button at the same time. Hold them down for about 20 - 30 and see if it asks you for confirmation to hard reset the device. If that doesn't work, plug your phone into your pc with the usb cord; go into the control panel and device manager (I assume you have a window machine), see if your phone comes up as a device, Or see if there are any drivers that the device manager has installed for your phone.

Upvote 0
I would think that it would still power on even if the screen was bad, right? So that's why I tried to call it, and it didn't ring. I've tried the hard rest already with no luck.

I'll try the "plugging into my PC" thing tomorrow and have a look at device manager to see if my PC see's any uninstalled devices.
Again, thanks for all the help.
Mark

Upvote 0
Oh man, I was afraid of seeing that dreadful driver name: Qualcomm QDLoader. I hate to tell you this, but your phone is hard bricked, not soft brick either where you may be able to fix it. Any time you're getting Qualcomm QDLoader, which means the phone can't no longer access the lg firm ware, and all you got left is the driver on the qualcomm chip. Look around xda forum and see if you can find any fix, but I really doubt it. What exactly were you doing when your phone stopped working? Were you installing app or rom at the time? Don't matter, neither me or you will be able to fix your phone. Definitely go over to xda forum and read the guide on how to fix hard bricked lg optimus g pro, if you're lucky, you may get you're phone running again, let me know how it turns out.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/optimus-g-pro/help/fix-hard-bricked-e980-t2829684

Reactions: mdhutch1973
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help.... one last question.... if I find nothing on the xda forum link that you provided... I thought about selling this phones for parts. Is there any chance any of my data is on the phone still? I have removed the sim card and the memory card.
Thanks again for the help.
Mark

Oh, and this happened to my phone in the middle of the night. I woke up to it like this. So it happened all by itself..... self destruct button I guess.

Upvote 0
You have an AT&T phone right? Try that xda link I gave you at the bottom. That person had the same situation as you where his phone was plugged in and next thing he knew it was bricked. He was able to get it working again, but nobody else in that posting besides him indicated the same. Hey, but what can it hurt right? See if you can get it fix ,and let me know the outcome. Regarding selling it for parts, unless the buyer really wants get your data, I think you're okay, since the person will probably just take the screen or the outer plastic body. Unless the buyer is buying to fix the phone. Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones