• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root /!\ Won't show, have tried everything!

rennegade

Lurker
Apr 23, 2010
Ive been trying endlessly to root my droid, but cannot get it to the recovery menu in order to install the 'update'? Ive powered on whilst holding X numerous times but it continues to boot as usual with the motorola logo then to the android logo etc? Its running 2.0.1.

Thanks in advance!

keyboard might be foobar?

There's an app called QuickBoot (or Quick Boot) on the market - install, launch it, and select the option to boot into recovery. I can't remember if Quickboot requires root or not...yup, requires root.

Tthe other possibility aside from keyboard issues is that your recovery partition is messed up...

Upvote 0
If in fact your hardware keyboard "X" key is working(easy to verify in messaging/etc.), then something may very well be botched with your recovery partition or OS otherwise.

Get ASTRO file manager, or Titanium backup. With ASTRO, you can back up your apps, Titanium even more.

Then follow the instructions in this thread to completely restore 2.0.1:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/47349-now-you-can-live-without-fear-bricking.html

By the way, not sure if it is clear in the thread, but this requires booting into the bootloader. To get there, hold the volume UP and camera keys while pressing the power button to power up.

Once it is done, see if you can boot into recovery then.. if not it is time for a warranty exchange;)

Upvote 0
I just used DMupdater to root my replacement Droid yesterday.. It required me to reboot into recovery myself. Unless there is a newer version than the one I have??

Does ROM manager root for you?..Never tried that..but I know it automatically reboots when intstalling CM(already rooted of course..)

I am thinking that since Quickboot requires root to work properly, neither one of the above apps will be able to reboot into recovery by itself until the root update.zip is applied.

Of course if I am wrong again, I will gladly stand corrected:p

Upvote 0
I tried to restore it to 2.0.1 but got an error stating the flash has failed due to my phone not being compatible.

'Phone is not compatible with multi-interface super-file. (0x703B)'

Yes droidpcguru you are correct.

Are you getting the error at the beginning or the end? I have heard that if you get an error at about 99% that if you hit "select device" it will actually go through...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones