Won't stay "MOUNTED" -- intermittent USB connection ??General

Last Updated:

1. notaguru

notaguru Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

WXP - Eris - Android 1.5

Upon connecting the handset to the laptop with a USB cable, there's a gong. The banner saying "HTC Sync" at the top and the Charge light ON indicates there's a connection. The GONG continues every few seconds, with an intermittent connect - disconnect.

I can pull down the notification area, select USB Connected, then MOUNT, which only lasts for a few seconds.

Drive F is not accessible: "Please insert a disk into Drive F".

I've formatted the SD card (PITA) with the same result. Also, tried a different cable.

I like things to be solidly working or totally broken - this seems intermittent.

What might be going on, and how is it diagnosed/fixed?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. RMB

RMB Well-Known Member

Can you confirm it's not the USB on your PC?

3. notaguru

The PC (a high-end Toshiba laptop) seems stable, and the USB works well with other tools. I did try two different USB connections.

4. RMB

RMB Well-Known Member

If not the computer or the cable, then it is the device. Do you think the micro-USB port could be damaged? Otherwise the only "fix" I could suggest is to reboot the phone, plugged in and then maybe unplugged, to see if this prompts an errant driver to get back in line.

5. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Try plugging the phone into a different computer to see if you get the same results.

Also check to see if drive F has a lingering assignment from some other device. Before you plug in your phone do the 'safely remove items' bit and see if there is a drive F, if so remove it - then plug in your phone.

6. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I had this same issue on v2 of 2.1 and it went away when I installed v3. I'm not sure what caused it but it sure was annoying. I still have issues with getting EasyTether to start an adp connection. I have to open the Easytether app and then back out of it. Makes no sense to me.

7. TheMortallyWounded

TheMortallyWounded Well-Known Member

I have had the same issue before, as well as a battery charging issue. I am blaming the USB cable for now. The stock cable has a tighter fit, and you might want to try using that or one like it. Though the Eris readily accepts USB Mini B, it has that weird corner which makes the stock cable fit ONLY the Eris, and makes Mini B cables sloppy.

My charging issue has occurred with both the PC as well as the factory charger... both using an aftermarket cable.

8. notaguru

Cable is aftermarket (no clue where the original Eris cable went).
    I just tried the Eris on another computer, and encountered the same problem.

Will do the following, in sequence:

1. Delete all USB ports and let XP rebuild them.
    2. Delete all Eris/HTC software and reinstall.
    3. (ugh!) Wipe the Eris and start fresh.

Other thoughts are welcome, if they don't involve a ball peen hammer...

9. DanMarg

DanMarg Member

Before wiping, I would try another cable.
    Also, you might want to pull the sd card and either try another one in the phone, or see if you can make your current one work with the pc in a reader first.

10. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member

Using the OEM cable my ERIS will only sync with the PC about 50% of the tries.