Won't stop contact sync?Support

Last Updated:

1. Huitzi

Huitzi Member This Topic's Starter

Well so far I've been thoroughly enjoying my g1 til this snag:

I noticed I had a lot of double contacts after importing them from my SIM card so I decided to edit my contacts via PC on my gmail account. Edited what I had to and streamlined my contacts. After that my G1 hasn't stopped it's contact sync! So far it has been about 3 hours... It's draining the battery something awful and the only way I've found to halt it was to just turn off contact sync in the phone's options.

Anyone else having this issue? Any idea how to fix it? Turning off sync is a workaround but certainly not a permanent solution. I want to keep using my phone just like before...

:confused:

thanks!

Advertisement
  2. cwalger

cwalger New Member

Same thing happened to me. It looks like it will sync for a few seconds, then stop for a second, then start again, over and over. I have my 'contacts sync' off now because of it. I hope this is a bug that will be fixed sooooon!

3. Huitzi

Well, I fixed this by doing a master reset. I lost my apps and my setting but of course my contacts all synced right back! Lesson learned. Don't edit your gmail contacts while your phone is on and actively in sync mode.

4. cwalger

cwalger New Member

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for posting your solution...

5. Huitzi

Yea, I know. Luckily I didn't customize my G1 too thoroughly before this problem popped up. No big deal. But if you've downloaded every app and got your settings perfect I can see how this could be a huge drag...

6. doc_old

doc_old New Member

I'm also experiencing this problem. I have to assume this will be one of the first things addressed via updates as battery life is ruined by this default setting.

Another thread mentioned T-Mobile customer care telling people to turn off auto-sync to improve battery life, so it sounds like the right people are at least aware of the problem.

7. tithefug

tithefug Active Member

I found a workaround until they fix this.

1. Basically, export all of your Google Contacts.
    2. Delete ALL Contacts
    3. Sync Phone
    4. Import Contacts
    5. Sync Phone
    This has worked for me, and now my battery is back to normal.

HTH,

Tithefug

8. Fugazi

Fugazi New Member

This worked!!!! Thank you very much. My wife's phone had this problem whereas mine didn't. Needless to say, I was messing around with different settings on both phones without success. Your solution worked though. Thank you!

9. Oberox

Oberox Active Member

The Google Android Team still should fix it, I'm sure 99% of all G1 users don't know how to fix it. ;)

I see more and more bugs showing up, I thought to Google Team would have checked enough but they seem to be forgotten some stuff.

10. nelsonf

nelsonf Member

this is supposed to be fixed in the 29 update we will see

11. Dimath

Dimath Active Member

Had the same problem. Cured by master reset. Expert/import of gmail contacts should work too, but you louse the groups assignment in that case.
    I guess the problem is in simultaneous changes in gmail and phone contacts or something like that...

PS: Don't have 29 patch yet.

12. Elams

Elams New Member

I had the same problem, but mine went for 12hr!. I plug ac-adapter for charging and realize it the next morning!! I hope my battery will be alright.

13. silverfox

silverfox New Member

would someone mind walking me through this fix. not sure how to "export all google contacts"? I've looked in contacts>menu . not sure where to look and how to fix this!! many of my contacts are in there 3 times...please help