• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Woo Hooo!!! Rooted 2.2.1. Now what bloatware apps can I safely get rid of?

Matt's 175

Sep 15, 2010
I know we had a list around here somewhere for the old 2.1 root. But, I just want to ask first before going crazy and deleting something I shouldn't. Just want to make sure the rules of the game haven't changed. If it's the same, can someone please point me to it. Cannot wait to delete stupid MySpace. :D

(One time I deleted BackupAssistentClient.apk off of the Wife's Droid 2 and screwed it all up and had to jump through hoops to get it back on there.)

Probably shouldn't delete DunServer.apk either. I did and data stopped working shortly thereafter. No 3g icon by the signal meter, no data up or down, I could place phone calls but would not receive any and when I did place a call the only way to hang up was to pull the battery. I had to go all the way back to step 1 to get it back because strangely once it was gone, it was gone. BTW that app has nothing to do with 3g hotspot because the icon was still there.

Upvote 0
Probably shouldn't delete DunServer.apk either. I did and data stopped working shortly thereafter. No 3g icon by the signal meter, no data up or down, I could place phone calls but would not receive any and when I did place a call the only way to hang up was to pull the battery. I had to go all the way back to step 1 to get it back because strangely once it was gone, it was gone. BTW that app has nothing to do with 3g hotspot because the icon was still there.

Ouch. I think you could have put it back in there with an app called root manager though. All you would have needed was another person with a rooted 2.2 Ally with root manager to copy and send you the file. Then it could have been re-inserted where it belongs. I used this method when i had to fix the wife's phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones