• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
there have been reports of lags with 720p videos on youtube.. and you are right, if you pause it and let it stream, then play it, it should not be a problem.. but otherwise, it would lag..
I know there have been reports of that but as I understood it it should be some sort of software problem that causes the video to lag. I can't imagine that they were talking about lag while streaming it since that would depend a lot on the Internet service you're getting.

Upvote 0
No not really, the iPhone here sells for $1088. So a $711 Galaxy S is dirt cheap

EDIT:

Since this will be telco exclusive for some time would it be possible to reflash the Galaxy S to samsung's default firmware and not the one thats used by the telco as it usually messes up / slows down the phone

$1088 for an iPhone? what the hell? thats entirely insane as well.

Upvote 0
$1088 for an iPhone? what the hell? thats entirely insane as well.

Thats how the prices of electronic goods here in the Philippines, another example would be computer parts.. say a random $290-300 motherboard is on ebay or other online stores that $300 board will sell around $450~550 here in Ph.

For the iPhone we can get units that are not locked by our local telco for about $800 as well, come to think of the Galaxy S in Singapore is S$1098 and that converted to my local currency ( and converted to USD ) is $805, we are getting it cheaper than the price in Singapore.

Upvote 0
Superboey - I have a few questions if you don't mind?

1) If you had to choose, which phone would you say you prefer out of the Galaxy S and the HTC Desire?

2) What are your thoughts on the screen? I'm particularly interested in whether there is any dust under the screen. This is/was a problem with the HTC Desire, HTC Hero, HTC Evo etc.

I currently own a Desire but due to the dust problem, I am considering returning it an waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S or even the next iPhone.

Upvote 0
Superboey - I have a few questions if you don't mind?

Sure. will help if i can

1) If you had to choose, which phone would you say you prefer out of the Galaxy S and the HTC Desire?
Both are good phones! used desire and currently using Galaxy. Love the creen on galaxy. Miss the led flash from desire. Speed wise both are snappy. I did find market opeing slower on the Galaxy.
Form factor wise i like the finishing on the desire. More matt soft touch feel.

2) What are your thoughts on the screen? I'm particularly interested in whether there is any dust under the screen. This is/was a problem with the HTC Desire, HTC Hero, HTC Evo etc.
SO far i did not notice any dust under my desire or galaxy.

I currently own a Desire but due to the dust problem, I am considering returning it an waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S or even the next iPhone.

If u r able to return, no harm trying Galaxy. You will be blown away by the screen. Iphone 4g? I am an apple fanboy but am not too excited by the new iphone. Nevertheless i will buy it.

I've been drawn to Android recently since its so easy to keep everything in Sync with google. So now i just concentrate on which device has "better" function rather than can I sync my data!

Upvote 0
If u r able to return, no harm trying Galaxy. You will be blown away by the screen. Iphone 4g? I am an apple fanboy but am not too excited by the new iphone. Nevertheless i will buy it.

I've been drawn to Android recently since its so easy to keep everything in Sync with google. So now i just concentrate on which device has "better" function rather than can I sync my data!

Thanks, mate.

They both sound rather promising. I loved the Desire but the dust under the screen irritated me. After three "dusty" handsets, I'm not sure if I can be bothered with another doorstep exchange!

Galaxy and an iPhone?! Wow! That's impressive. You're going to have a pocket full of high-spec phones! :D

Upvote 0
I've just thought of another couple of questions.

Does Samsung's own interface on top of the Android OS improve and enhance the phone? Or would you rather it wasn't there?

How does the size compare to that of the Desire? I know the SGS is larger than the Desire, but does it feel a great deal larger?

I know the phone comes with Swype. However, is the phone's text entry similar to the Desire's in terms of how it corrects everything for you etc? I love the way the Desire corrects everything no matter what I seem to press! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones