• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wordperfect Reader for Android?

Vance

Android Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2009
Now that Carbonite has an Android App, I would love to be able to access my work files on my phone, but they are all in Wordperfect!

Open Office and Word to Go will not convert them on the fly, so is there a dedicated Wordperfect reader for Android or any other program that will open the files? Thanks!

Reactions: w_bovine
Now that Carbonite has an Android App, I would love to be able to access my work files on my phone, but they are all in Wordperfect!

Open Office and Word to Go will not convert them on the fly, so is there a dedicated Wordperfect reader for Android or any other program that will open the files? Thanks!

I did some Googling, as you likely did, and came up empty. I will however take a moment to thank you for letting me know Carbonite now has an Android app ('bout time!). :)

Upvote 0

Documents to Go allows editing of MS files, so if you had abandoned WordPerfect in 1995 like everyone else did (I'm running and hiding now :D), you could use that. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with WordPerfect files (I don't think). On the iPhone, Documents to Go connects directly to Dropbox. It apparently doesn't do that for Droid, yet, but I would assume that feature is in the works.

I will have to tell the administrative assistant and the financial secretary I work with that there is at least a third person in the universe that hasn't dropped WordPerfect. Every time they call me for tech assistance, I tell them their problems would be solved if they quit using WordPerfect. Sometimes, fun comes with cheap thrills.

Upvote 0
Ha! Our secretarial staff, who have to use Word all the time when working with clients or other attorneys, can't stand Word and keep asking me for help (they say Word just tries to babysit them and format everything for them, where WP just lets them do it all themselves!). They are the ones who insist that we stick with WP.

I tried the Word to Go, just to see whether it would convert it, but no chance. I even tried Dropbox's text editor, but it came up garbled symbols.

But I will say, the Carbonite service works great otherwise!!!

Upvote 0
Bubba, Word Perfect slams the others. Nothing compares to it. There are still bunches of people use Word and Open Office only when necessary - I am one of those. Word Perfect is for those of us who do heavy duty stuff, Word and Open Office need not apply.

Agree wholeheartedly. I actually teach Word in the local school district Adult Ed program, but I've been using WordPerfect for my personal and business correspondence since 1988 and keep waiting for Microsoft to produce a comparable product. Hasn't happened yet.

Reactions: FasterEd
Upvote 0
Bubba, Word Perfect slams the others. Nothing compares to it. There are still bunches of people use Word and Open Office only when necessary - I am one of those. Word Perfect is for those of us who do heavy duty stuff, Word and Open Office need not apply.

WordPerfect has always RULED over Word, and any and all challengers. That said, to answer the original question, I believe you can simply use Google to convert your WP files to Google Docs. They will then be viewable on an Android.

You can also share them via DropBox and/or Carbonite. Cannot remember if they can be edited. Oops! That may have been the original intent. Check it out.

This is my first post ever, so I cannot post a link. I just checked and Google Docs should do the trick.

Upvote 0
WordPerfect lets you save or 'publish' a document to PDF format. Then you could at least read it on your Android phone.

BTW, been using WordPerfect for over 30 years and, having also used Word, because I ran a computer training business, I think no other word processor comes close to WordPerfect. I even published several different magazines using just WordPerfect.

I would love to have it on my Android phone. Are you listening, WordPerfect?

Upvote 0
ElMeroMero -- I don't think Google Docs will convert WordPerfect, at least the last time I tried -- can store them but not view/edit them. I'd love to find out that I'm wrong, though -- do you know a way to do it?

BTW, chalk up another one for dedicated WordPerfect users. Word is such complete crap (e.g., yes, in theory you can "save" to .pdf in Word, but in fact it sometimes comes out wrong -- something that never happens in WordPerfect). The huge predominance of Word over WordPerfect is all the proof you need that Microsoft is an evil monopoly crushing its (far superior) competition.

Upvote 0
WordPerfect viewer/editor on Android? For long-time WordPerfect users, it has been virtually impossible to read or write WPD files on an Android device. The only official option, thus far, has been the official and commercial Corel WPD viewer, but the user reviews have been mixed, to say the least.
This problem has prompted me to research and experiment, based on the fact that a free Windows MS Office-compatible suite like Libre Office [or Open Office, or Apache Office] has, for some time, had the ability to open WordPerfect files seamlessly [and save them, sometimes]. I formatted and saved a few basic WPD files, simply renamed the file extension to .ODT, and opened them in Libre Office – virtually perfectly [only experiencing importing issues with some complex tables]. Apart from that, formatting features like different fonts, graphics boxes, numbered outlining? No problem.
Then I proceeded to Android: I copied these test WPD files [simply renamed as ODT files, not exported as Open Office files, remember] to my device/cloud storage services like Dropbox and Google Drive. I installed a number of Open Office/ODT compatible office apps, and tried to open the "new" ODT files.
The best result so far [only been testing for the last 2 days] has come from OOReader [free via the Google Play store]. Opening a disguised WPD file as an ODT file takes a few seconds to convert, and – success! Almost every file I've tossed at OOReader has imported successfully, with WP formatting and graphics intact.
Interestingly, the official Libre Office viewer app [also the beta one] chokes on these FrankenFiles, as well as most other allegedly ODT-compatible office viewers and editors.
And so my 48-hour conclusion and advice are this: If you're a die-hard WPD user and would like to access your files on an Android device, follow these kludgy and hack-ey steps: (1) upload your WPD file AS IS to your device or the cloud; (2) install OOReader on your device; (3) when you need to do so, simply rename the WPD file to an ODT extension, and import into OOReader.
Savvy users might even write a batch script or CMD file beforehand which automatically renames or mirrors important WPD files as ODT files in one's PC Dropbox folder, which will save precious seconds when accessing that beautiful WPD data...
When (if) I find an app which can then also correctly and perfectly edit and save these hacked WPD-as-ODT files, a follow-up report will, well, follow.
Date: 28 May 2016 [heinmg@gmail.com]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones