Workaround for syncing Facebook photos only, not contacts, on 2.1General

Last Updated:

1. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Remove your "Facebook for HTC Sense" account and install this app:

SyncMyPix - Android app on AppBrain

[​IMG]

You'll have to manually connect some of your contacts if their names don't match. This syncs their photos, but NOT the rest of their info. It does NOT bring all of your Facebook contacts into your phone and SMS apps.

This isn't my app; I just found it while browsing.

UPDATE 4/21:
    UPDATE 5/10:
    Good news! The developer finished his initial testing, so he added Android 2.x support to the official SyncMyPix app in the market. Links above updated accordingly. I recommend downloading from the market now to update the app to its most recent version.

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Going into People > Menu > View and unchecking Facebook doesn't do that for you?

3. thenestor

Doing that hides them from the "People" app, but not from the "Phone" app or Messages, Handcent, ChompSMS, etc.

Also, I'd heard complaints that the phone numbers for people's contacts were being overwritten by the phone numbers listed in their friends' Facebook profiles.

Also, for some people the Facebook for HTC Sense profile pictures are tiny and pixelated; the SyncMyPix photos aren't. EDIT 4/21: They're pixelated again after syncing with Google.

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Ahhhh, I didn't know it did that for messaging. I use GV exclusively. Nice that someone wrote something that fixes that then. I can see how it woudl be annoying.

5. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Okay..so help me out here because I've seen this issue mentioned and have become annoyed with having every single facebook buddy in my contacts list. However, I like the way that it does sync pics from facebook for my wanted contacts. Are you saying that I can get rid of all those unwanted contacts, but still sync my google contacts w fbook profile pics?

6. thenestor

Correct. The app ONLY syncs the pics, and only for those that are in the "People" app (your Google, Phone, or Exchange contacts). Granted, it technically downloads all of your Facebook friends' profile pictures at first, but it only keeps the ones that match your phone book.

alprazolam likes this.
  7. Aimy77

Aimy77 Well-Known Member

After I log in, I get a screen that says "success"with an error window that says "error parsing URL."

Thoughts?

8. thenestor

Didn't happen to me, although I did have to log into facebook in the browser twice before it would connect.

9. alprazolam

I'll give it a shot...tomorrow...bedtime for now. Thanks for sharing.

10. dclay89

dclay89 Well-Known Member

Works great. Thank you!

11. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

I may have to give that a shot. I'm terrified that I may accidentally call someone I haven't seen or talked to in person since middle school. My life wouldn't be missing much if I dropped some of these people from my Facebook friend list, but I shouldn't have to.

12. Asmith1106

Asmith1106 Well-Known Member

Will try this first thing tomorrow morning also! Sounds great tho! sick of having sooooo many people come up in messaging when I don't need them to!

I wonder if it might help dialer speed for people with those problems? I'm sure having a few hundred less people in the contacts list wouldnt hurt it!

13. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

omg, I love you.

14. Asmith1106

Ok... so now to just figure out how to manually connect pics to friends that have common names... anyone figure this out??

EDIT: Figured it out! OMG this is a godsend... I totally agree w/ W4lly.. you may be my new favorite person on here for finding this bit of goodness!!

15. alprazolam

ALMOST happened to me. The call was going through and I hung up just before it started to ring. That would have been crazy to explain...unless they also have an Eris with a 2.1 leaked version. :)

16. thenestor

I noticed that after it synced the new Facebook profile photos with Google, the pictures became pixelated again. So it seems that particular issue might actually be a Google issue, not a problem with our phones per se. Also, note that your first sync with Google after doing this might be time-consuming if you selected "full size" because it has to upload all of those photos.

Oh, and this app also lets you edit how it crops the photos.

17. Asmith1106

Anyone noticing that this doesnt sync a pic for YOU? Or is there something i forgot to do?
    I mean it is easy enough to just set a random phone pic for yourself... You'd just think that the app would take this into account.

Still an amazing app though!!

18. thenestor

Yeah, I'm assuming it's because you can't be friends with yourself on Facebook, but you're right, it'd be easy enough for them to download your own profile pic as well, even though it's stored a little differently.

19. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Yay! Can't wait to try this. How do I remove my FB profile? I'm having a day and can't find it....

Nevermind: I found it.

20. mss12

mss12 Well-Known Member

Once you download it how do you install it on your phone?

21. thenestor

First you have to make sure you've enabled applications from outside sources in menu>settings>applications.

If the file is still in your browser's downloads window, you should just be able to click on it. If not, you'll need to use a file manager (like Astro or OI File Manager) to find the file and click on it.

22. alprazolam

Pardon me if I have to babied along but how do I get rid of 400+ facebook contacts that auto synced on my phone with my fbook account? I just want my regular google contacts from before I installed the leak.

Edit: Nevermind...just took Fbook account off my phone and that did it.

23. Renholder5x

Renholder5x Well-Known Member

Nestor is my new favorite person. Please accept this award for discoveries in the field of "THANK F*CKING GOD".

thenestor likes this.
  24. clb

clb Well-Known Member

How do you manually sync pictures on this app?

25. Renholder5x

Renholder5x Well-Known Member

After you sync, long press on a friend that was not found and click "link to contact" then select from your list of contacts.