• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Workaround for syncing Facebook photos only, not contacts, on 2.1

Hello,

Thanks for this fix for the contacts issue.

after i have deleted the facebook for htc sense and synced with snycmypix, can i reinstal facebook again? will it just upload all the contacts on to my phone again or not?

Thanks

Nick

sorry being a total muppet! Needless to say its sorted.

This is awesome

how do i rate the app, i didnt get it from market i just pointed my phone browser to above link

Upvote 0
nestor, thanks so much for posting this! Downloading it through the phone's browser was a piece of cake and once I figured out you can manually sync people through a long press on their names, it took 5 minutes to get everything set up. I really missed having the pictures there, but didn't think it was worth adding 200+ contacts to my phone book.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I'm actually still using "Facebook for HTC Sense" instead of SyncMyPix. I like being able to go to a contact in my phonebook, click the pictures icon, and browse their Facebook photo albums. And the actual problem I was having with the "Facebook for HTC Sense" sync (besides everyone showing up when I go to place a call) was that their contact pictures would randomly disappear and reappear, but I found that the solution to that (for me) was to increase the frequency at which "Facebook for HTC Sense" syncs, and to manually sync Google contacts instead of allowing them to sync automatically (otherwise they would tend to get stuck in a loop).

Upvote 0
Awesome. Thanks for posting this, thenestor. I was so frustrated this morning when I couldn't control the photo that pops up for my frequent contacts.

One problem with trying this method to solve the problem, though: How do I remove Facebook for HTC Sense?

When I click on it through my manage applications, there's no remove or uninstall option. The only option lit up in there is "about."

Updated to add in case it helps someone else: I don't think we actually delete the app, which doesn't use much space. I realized you wrote to delete the Facbeook HTC Sense account, so I went into Settings > accounts. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Awesome. Thanks for posting this, thenestor. I was so frustrated this morning when I couldn't control the photo that pops up for my frequent contacts.

One problem with trying this method to solve the problem, though: How do I remove Facebook for HTC Sense? When I click on it through my manage applications, there's no remove or uninstall option. The only option lit up in there is
"about."

Oh, when I said "remove," I just meant go to Settings>Accounts & sync>Facebook for HTC Sense and click "remove account".

You might also have to clear the Facebook contacts from your phone book. To do that, make sure any "phone" contacts are backed up (as opposed to "google" contacts), and then go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications, wait for it to load completely, find and click on "Contacts Storage", and click "clear data".

Upvote 0
Hmm, this sounds like a bit more like the 1.5 behavior. I'm a bit confused by the way the new 2.1 linking works with the new 'Linked Contact' section in a persons' contact.

Is the new default behavior as follows?
- Phone 'syncs' all of your Facebook friends' contacts
- Phone creates new 'Facebook' contacts with the unique info from their FB accounts
- Phone then 'links' your existing Phone contacts with any similar FB contacts
- Facebook contacts are not viewed by default in the People app

This is what I'm gathering from reading here, but wanted to be sure. Is there a decent manual or something to verify this?

And if we remove the account for Facebook for HTC Sense in the settings, will we lose the following?
- Birthday links in the People app
- FB Photo galleries in the People and Gallery apps
- Facebook updates in the People app
- Possible duplicate entries in the Phone and SMS apps

THANKS. Think the 1.5 method was smoother.

Upvote 0
Not gonna lie, watching this program as it displays/flips through all of my friends' defaults is really entertaining! BIG THANK YOU on this one. It's a life saver. I can't believe how much more complicated syncing is in 2.1 versus 1.5.

EDIT: And I must say, this program is much smarter in it's matching than 1.5 was. 1.5 couldn't figure out someone on Facebook as Christopher but on my phone as Chris, but this one did!

Upvote 0
So did u lose all the other FB integration I mentioned in previous post?

And if u use this app to sync FB photos, can u still manually override this with your own photos on certain specific contacts? That's mostly what I need - a way to choose my own photo for someone when they choose some lame dark picture of their foot for their profile!

Upvote 0
So did u lose all the other FB integration I mentioned in previous post?

And if u use this app to sync FB photos, can u still manually override this with your own photos on certain specific contacts? That's mostly what I need - a way to choose my own photo for someone when they choose some lame dark picture of their foot for their profile!

You can definitely override the Facebook photos with your own photos, because you can simply choose not to sync that person's photo. You could do that with Facebook for HTC Sense too though; just un-link their Facebook contact from their "All" contact.

Upvote 0
You could do that with Facebook for HTC Sense too though; just un-link their Facebook contact from their "All" contact.

OK, I'm trying to understand what these different linking items mean, especially an "All" contact. What is an "All" contact???

And if it's unlinked, do I then lose all of the other FB integration?

- I guess the main question is - is there a way to get behavior similar to 1.5 where you could get the Facebook integration (FB galleries, profile updates, etc.) but had the choice on whether to use the photo, birthday or both?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help! They were clueless at the VZW store. I couldn't figure out why I had duplicate numbers for many contacts. It was because they were in my Google account and on their FB info that I was syncing with.

Next question - Why does it list land line phones (home, work, etc.) when I am in the messaging application? 1.5 only listed mobile numbers which was useful. Now it seems to list every contact number for a contact in numeric order. My wife's cell happens to be numerically last so I have to scroll to see it when composing a text message to her.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones