• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Working to get an espn app

pilotcharles747

Nov 19, 2009
ft campbell
If some posted this same forum feel free to close:

We are working to get an espn app on android. I would actually like a widget and an app. To get this we are emailing espn and expressing the desire to get an app/widget on android. To do this you must have an account with espn. It is free to set up. Once you set it up go to the contact us section and send an email requesting an app/ widget. This was not originally my idea got it from a guy on droidforum.net. But I feel if we can get enough android users emailing they will see how large the android base really is. The amount of android users combined (g1, droid, nexus, hero, eris, click, and more) out numbers iphone users and I do not see why we will not be able to get one if they have an app.

If they see that the demand is here and there are people willing to pay, a company would be stupid to abandon the idea. If directv is able to create a football and basketball app streaming live games I do not see why espn will not be able to create an app. Now someone on droidforums.net said they expressed to him that they are working on the app. Having the numbers from droid nation demanding an app/widget will help them keep on the grind to pump out an app.
The writing is on the wall android is spreading on to at&t, and with that all major us carriers will have atleast 2 android phones.....compare that to one phone on one network (iphone). By spring 2010 the android market will see numbers that could surpass the itunes market because of a variety of android phones a user can choose. If you know of a nexus forum spread the word.

Upvote 0
ESPN can make their own version, but they are choosing not to at this time. The reason they give is that when C&D requests are sent to Google, it takes them a long time to remove them (not being very proactive in removing infringing products). I think ESPN will not let anyone else make one until they decide to do it them selves.

I just read the article yesterday, so I'll try to find it...

**EDIT** Found it...

http://moconews.net/article/419-espn-mobile-thrives-despite-ties-to-mobile-ad-networks-or-android/

As for Android, he’s not jumping on the bandwagon too quickly. He said you search “ESPN” in the Android Market, and you get six to seven copycats. Zehr: “We’ve complained, but it’s a lot like whack-a-mole. They [Google] are not as responsive as I’ve liked. If they won’t police it, it makes the playing field tough.” (Today, only one app is using the ESPN brand in its title.)

Upvote 0
Would they be able to move this thread to applications? It would probably get more responses from users using other android devices such as nexus one, hero, mytouch etc. instead of just the droid.

I hope we can get enough response for ESPN to make an application for android devices similar to the ESPN MVP application out for v-cast or ESPN score center for the ipone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones