• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] WORKING wifi tether setup

I just upgraded to 4.3 using (jdsingle's modified version), and I lost wifi tether also. I've tried several variations, still no luck. Back to pdanet + bluetooth for the moment.

Yes. I'm using clockworkmod tether and I love it! My computer is sharing the connection over Ethernet to a wireless router so wireless devices can connect to it.

If you find a wireless tether solution please let me know. I have read in other forums that the 4.3 update broke wireless tether on other phones as well. This happened before with the update to 4.2 but there was an update to wireless tether that fixed it. My initial thought was to blame Knox but I think it is an issue to software changes within the 4.3 update itself.

Upvote 0
Wow ... you just changed my life! didn't know about cwm tether, just installed it and it is awesome! Working flawlessly with my linux system. MUCH faster than pdanet+bluetooth. Thank you!!!

I love it. Really, anything designed by Koush I expect to be nothing short of magic ;)

I do agree the throughput seems to be much better than with PDAnet. And it works on all operating systems including Linux unlike other methods.

Anyway, glad to help!

Upvote 0
Not the tw based roms such as the ones suggested, everything works perfectly with our boost mobile S3 :)

I've been using moar instead of the newer 4.3 AOSP roms (which are awesome and faster/smoother) solely because I need my mms and highly desire 4g whenever I get the opportunity, that's why I paid $400 for this phone.

Are you able to run the new mk5 modem on MOAR?

Upvote 0
I thought so, but I'm not used to some ROMs only for boost, and others for Sprint, so I didn't know for sure. Thanks

No problem. Boost and VM have no custom 4.3 development, so we have to piggyback off of the Sprint versions for ROM's like Cyanogen, Carbon, Hellfire, etc.; 4.1.2 has more device and carrier specific ROM's because there is a stock source available. Now that 4.3 is officially live on the SGS3, Knox-related issues notwithstanding, there should be a lot of those ROM's updating to reflect 4.3. Additionally, because VM/Boost and Sprint are essentially interchangeable, the Sprint modems can be flashed to our devices if wanted.

Upvote 0
For everyone on the 4.3 MK5 update, we have working wireless tether over at the Virgin Mobile section and it should work for you Boost folks as well ;)

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...ed-mk5-4-3-stock-working-wireless-tether.html
Added to op. Thanks for figuring it out!

Thanks guys. This info has been added to the ROM/Mod thread. I'm sure the guys running 4.3 are singing you guys praises right now. :)

Thanks again to the both of you for your help and dedication in bettering our S3. We're lucky to have you in here. ;)

Reactions: smith058
Upvote 0
I will give it this... MOAR's tethering capability does make it painless, and it does actually support my (3)DS pretty well.

However, compared to the stock rom and a tethering app that worked, MOAR does seem to consume my battery life far more intensely, which I'm not exactly happy about. Might there be an alternative that would be better suited to get more life out of the battery? It's not like what I tether for is going to be all that far away from the phone when I need it.

Upvote 0
I will give it this... MOAR's tethering capability does make it painless, and it does actually support my (3)DS pretty well.

However, compared to the stock rom and a tethering app that worked, MOAR does seem to consume my battery life far more intensely, which I'm not exactly happy about. Might there be an alternative that would be better suited to get more life out of the battery? It's not like what I tether for is going to be all that far away from the phone when I need it.

You could try Wicked Sensations. It has less mods incorporated into the ROM which should = less battery drain. Worth a try. I run Wicked and love it. :D

Upvote 0
On second thought, I might want to consider a 4.3 based rom... already getting nagged to update to OTA 4.3, which of course I don't want. It's even rather obnoxiously interrupting playback of youtube and netflix when I get the chance to... <_<

Well I've switched to CM11 4.4 Official Nightlies
Currently running the 12 /15 build with the loaded GAPPS zip. . Flashed the KToonsez 747 4.4 AOSP KitKat kernel with it too. The ROM is a beast!

Upvote 0
On second thought, I might want to consider a 4.3 based rom... already getting nagged to update to OTA 4.3, which of course I don't want. It's even rather obnoxiously interrupting playback of youtube and netflix when I get the chance to... <_<

I think there's a way to modify your build.prop to trick the phone into thinking it already has updated. Don't quote me on that (figuratively speaking), I haven't paid too much attention to the threads dealing with the update nagging issue. Biker would have a better answer than me. My actual answer is to break off a piece of that KitKat bar, it is unbelievably tasty!

Upvote 0
How's wifi tether on there

I actually haven't tried the wifi tether yet bro. I've been messing around with other settings and stuff. Lol. I'm getting there..

As for the nagging update notification, I know for a fact that Wicked Sensations has a fix. It's an MK3 patch that you flash in your recovery. Solves the nagging update with a quickness. . Pretty sure MOAR does too. Just heard from Capn069 that MOAR just updated though. Haven't checked it out yet but plan on it.

Upvote 0
I actually haven't tried the wifi tether yet bro. I've been messing around with other settings and stuff. Lol. I'm getting there..

As for the nagging update notification, I know for a fact that Wicked Sensations has a fix. It's an MK3 patch that you flash in your recovery. Solves the nagging update with a quickness. . Pretty sure MOAR does too. Just heard from Capn069 that MOAR just updated though. Haven't checked it out yet but plan on it.

Yeah, M.O.A.R. is on 7.0 now based on 4.3/MK3, only since early this morning if I remember correctly.

Upvote 0
I finally got tether to work on my phone...

Use wifi tether treve mod

Device profile: generic ics/jb wlan0
Setup method: netd-ndc
Send netd Max client cmd: check
Wifi-driver reload 2: check
Mss clamping: check
Routing fix: check
Change preferred DNS: 66.1.60.132 (it WILL be different for you. Turn off wifi first, Check by: getprop net.dns1 )
Change alternate DNS: 66.1.60.133 (getprop net.dns2 )

Also if you going to be tethering for long periods of time you may need to disable connection optimizer
Goto settings -

Upvote 0
I haven't used stock in a looooong time... so I don't know how this app/method works on the newer basebands... If you are on baseband MG2 or MD7 then it should work as followed in the op.
You may want to start over, go to application manager and clear cache/data and maybe uninstall and reinstall...
GL
Ps. .. almost all custom roms already have wifi tether working without flaws.

Upvote 0
I haven't used this method to tether since we were able to flash a custom rom, since then there has been updates to both our phone and the app. Therefore I do not know the proper settings anymore. I am however quite positive with the correct combination of settings that the app will still work quite well with our phone. I do not have the time any more to mess around with it.

You can get free wifi tether from any custom rom.
Or if you are desperate enough to pay a couple of bucks Check out "WiFi Tether Router"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter

I hear it's well worth it and works with the latest update to our phone. I have not used it myself but maybe one of our members that have used it can chime in and verify this statement.

*Edit*
Yup yup yup yup here it is...

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=800923

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones