• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Worried about scratching the camera lens...??

YaBoiD

Android Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2010
Lauderdale, FL
From what I've read/seen, when the EvO is rested screen up, the camera lens kind of elevates it because it protrudes & I'm worried the lens would be scratched over time. I wouldn't mind the design if the lens was made out of gorilla glass like the DroidINc. I'm not sure if the EvO uses gorilla glass on the front screen but the least they could do is use it with the camera lens. Anyone know?

htc-evo-4g-review-table-1.jpg

Photo from engadget review.

Upvote 0
not its not, its at an angle so it touches the ring and not the lense. the lense and ring extrude from the surface, so the bottom of the phone is fine and the top rests on the bottom edge of the ring around the lense, not on the actual lense itself it is probably VERY close but since the lense protrudes it has to be this way unless the lense is angled downward which i find unlikely

The lens is angled downwards...

If they didn't angle it, then the phone wouldn't rest flat on the table. It would roll around due to the circular metal rim.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what the lens is made out of, but I've thought about this before.

I think I'm gonna get an extra zagg/phantom skinz/whatever and cut a circular piece out to cover the lens. I don't know how well it will work or if it will cause any degradation in the picture quality, but it's worth a shot.

I just did this. The Zagg shield was on clearance for $199 at BB. I cut out a small circle using the cap of a fine point Sharpie. So far it's perfect and didn't affect picture quality that I could notice.

Upvote 0
DP review has something about scratched lenses, in fact I believe the thread actually shows pictures taken through a cracked lens.

Now this lense is much smaller, different focal length etc, but I would think short of making it opaque by rubbing with sandpaper you'd be ok for the usable life of the phone.

Exactly. Here is an article discussing the minor effect scratches have on lenses, (think its what Highland Ranger is referring to)

LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches

I agree with wanting to protect your equipment but I think all the hubbub over a potential scratched lens on a camera phone is way overstated. Personally I'm more concerned about the front cam since i would be using it for vid conferencing. Any serious photography Ill use my real camera (dslr).

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what the lens is made out of, but I've thought about this before.

I think I'm gonna get an extra zagg/phantom skinz/whatever and cut a circular piece out to cover the lens. I don't know how well it will work or if it will cause any degradation in the picture quality, but it's worth a shot.

Ive actully done this with my wifes hd2 you can pick up a pack of 8 good screen protectors from walmart for like 8 bucks if you take the time to put it on there right no flaws should come up

Upvote 0
If putting a screen protector on there doesn't hurt the picture quality, then zagg should be including that with their full body protection kits.

I would think there would be a huge market for little circle screen protectors on ebay, lol. Hopefully someone will start selling them so I can get a few and not worry about this anymore.

Upvote 0
Yep me too...

I have had the phone for 2 weeks an just noticed a visible scratch on the lenses. Luckily it does not appear in the photos.

Not sure how it got scratched? Maybe i placed in on the counter face down? I was trying to be very careful. I just received my rubber skin to protect it, guess it didn't come soon enough.

I think they should have designed something to protected it, like movable window?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones