• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Worried about scratching the camera lens...??

Is that any different than you telling us all we're idiots and any visual obstructions on the lens cover that we notice affecting our picture are just figments of our imaginations?

Yes, your zagg shield is really no comparison to a scratched lens. That lifted up edge is going to create a shadow and should be noticeable. You need to compair that to a cracked and half missing lens. A surface scratched lens isn't going look anything like this.

Upvote 0
i see your point but your idea of the cover being scratched will lower picture quality isn't correct.

If that was the case then every professional photographer would have to replace their lens cover after every basketball or football event. They set those large lenses face down on the ground and they get scratched. The point of the lens is to focus, if the focus is not so close as to focus on the lens cover then the scratches will be virtually non-existent. If you think i'm wrong after all the photography i've taken as well as having friends that are professional photographers then post up a picture where you can visibly point out the scratches on the lens cover and i'll delete my posts.

I have uploaded 3 pictures onto a temporary Flickr account. One shows the lens cover scratched in an almost circular form around where the eye of the lens would be. The bottom part ofthe circle of scratches is thicker. The other two photos
will show you how the. Bottom of my photos are "blurred" because of the scratching. The in of my feet shows blurring on the left but to I took the photo sideways.

So yes, a scratched lens cover significantly alters photo quality.

Here is my private Flickr stream of my EVO lens. http://www.flickr.com/photos/66318779@N03/sets/72157627419414178

Sorry for any misspels, but I am accessing the forum from my EVO. I also am unable to upload photos from my evo to the forum.

Thanks all.

Upvote 0
Is that any different than you telling us all we're idiots and any visual obstructions on the lens cover that we notice affecting our picture are just figments of our imaginations?

Yes, they are figments of your imagination. You do not understand the physics, so please stop arguing about an applied science you continuously fail to grasp.

Upvote 0
Yes, they are figments of your imagination. You do not understand the physics, so please stop arguing about an applied science you continuously fail to grasp.
Just stop man. What you are claiming is ridiculous. Scratching a lens (cover) hinders the light that passes through it therefore it absolutely DOES affect picture quality. That is the science, and anyone claiming otherwise is full of it. The post right above yours indisputably proves the scratches make a difference (with photo evidence). That should have put this thread to rest.

I have made a conscious effort to look at the cameras at s0porting events after the claims made in this thread and I have never seen one with a single scratch, let alone totally covered in scratches.

Upvote 0
I created an account for the sole purpose of letting everyone know that guy is an idiot. You will NEVER find a professional photograher with scratches on their front glass. It's still a vital part of the lens (you're still looking through it. )

When you see the pros leaving their lens face down, they can do that because those massive telephoto lenses have a 3 inch lip. The glass will NEVER be touching anything

Now i need a way to protect my lens (or plastic lens cover, whichever you prefer) on my EVO 3D.

Reactions: BlackDynamite
Upvote 0
Wow. I have to say... you're a FOOL! Maybe you need your eyes checked. I usually try not to get rude on forums, but what kind of moron even lets a thought like that make it past his gums?? A cracked, scratched camera lense doesn't affect the picture quality?? Wow.

I have the EVO. I've had it for a year now. Some stuff I've learned...

1. There is NO RIDGE! The phone most certainly DOES sit DIRECTLY on the camera FACE! Yes, it's at an angle, and it mostly scratches in a crescent shape around the bottom first, but it eventually spreads like cancer across the lense because not everywhere you set the phone is a perfect surface.

2. What we're talking about is the lense COVER, thankfully. Not the ACTUAL camera lense. It can be replaced, and is really cheap and fairly easy with a pair of tweezers.

3. It's NOT gorilla glass. It's not even glass. It's plastic. I can't IMAGINE what you'd have to do to crack it, but it does scratch EASILY.

4. When it's dirty, or scuffed. Your pictures will suffer GREATLY. Not only can the light not make proper pictures, but the camera wont be able to focus as precisely either.

If you doubt me, put a soda can on your desk. Take the best picture you can get outta your camera. Then remove the battery cover. Pop off the red bezel. (it's only on with double sided tape, and it'll go back the first couple times, dont worry) Then pop off the little cover that says "8 Megapixel" to expose the camera underneath. Now repeat the picture. You're gonna need to change your drawers when you see the difference. Case closed.

Reactions: BlackDynamite
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones