Worried about using the Multimedia Dock every night

Last Updated:

1. dragosca

dragosca New Member This Topic's Starter

First of all, I love the Dock. It has replaced my nightstand clock ever since I bought it.

Two worries thought:
    1. Although I use the dimmed version of the dock app, isn't having the phone's screen on 8 hours a day going to have a negative effect on it (burn in, progressive dimness over time)?
    2. Considering that by using the phone like this I am practically recharging the battery every night, even if it's only at about 50% - am I hurting the battery in any way? I know there's no memory effect, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's not good to keep it at 100% for too long either.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Both of your worries are understandable ... but not warranted. The screen will not burn any images into it (not like the old CRTs). And the batteries prefer to be charged as often as possible. You're good to go. FWIW, I use the multimedia dock every night as well.

3. Dave17

Dave17 Well-Known Member

Agree with Joe with a little bit of a different perspective maybe.

1) burn in is not an issue, but I believe that leaving the screen on all the time may shorten it's life. I put my Droid in the cradle every night (whether it needs a charge or not), but I also press the power button to shut off the display. The alarm clock still works, and I'm not looking at the screen anyway--I'm sleeping. :D

2) Yes, the battery does not have memory like the old rechargeables did, but these batteries do have a finite number of recharge cycles before they start to degrade. I accept this, continue to charge every night, recognizing that I'll have to buy a new battery later.

Cheers!

4. dragosca

dragosca New Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, I think I agree with both of you guys:

1. Probably no burn-in, but you've got to think that screen has a certain lifespan in hours and when you're bringing usage time up from maybe half an hour a day in normal use to eight hours, you're going to have to take the consequences. On the other hand though, maybe it's not that important for a device that I'm going to have for two years anyway - until the next upgrade through Verizon.
    2. Same thing about the battery, worst case scenario I replace the battery once, after a year of use.

Thanks.

5. Dave17

Dave17 Well-Known Member

You bet.

6. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

It will probably shorten the screen's life, but likely not enough for you to ever actually notice. Most modern screens are rated at some ridiculous amount of hours, and the phone itself will probably die or be replaced before that ever happens.

7. bcromwell

bcromwell Member

Where can I get a copy of the dimmed ver of the dock app you speak of?

8. Dave17

Dave17 Well-Known Member

When the Droid is in the multimedia dock, click on the lightbulb icon. This will bring up the dimmed version.

9. cdodge

cdodge Well-Known Member

2.1 will fix the burn in issue. it has a clock that moves around. Not sure if i like it or not but i was also worried about burn in.

10. notredewey

notredewey Active Member

Anyone know if there is a way to turn off the lighting behind the touch keys while docked? Even on night mode, those lit up keys make it too bright.

11. cdodge

cdodge Well-Known Member

i was wondering the same thing.

I am using 2.1 and sometimes they shut off and sometimes they stay on. i was assuming that they should shut off and 2.1 had a bug

12. Kazakaz

Kazakaz Well-Known Member

No worries with the battery. Even with a life of a certain amount of charge cycle a charge cycle is considered from a dead state to 100% charge. So if you are only topping off the battery by only charging it 10%, you have to do that 10 times to equal one charge cycle.

13. scutzi128

scutzi128 Well-Known Member

I usually just power my screen off at night. If I wake up and want to see the screen I just hit the camera button. It would be nice if it was possible to set a timeout for the screen maybe like 5 or 10 min.

14. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

The charger turns off when it reaches 100% so no worries there. Also I'm not sure if this works when you have it plugged into the wall outlet but if it's plugged into the USB port on a computer the screen turns off after a few minutes.

15. scutzi128

scutzi128 Well-Known Member

I have mine on a wall outlet and it will stay on forever if I don't shut the screen off with the power button.

16. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

Usually the backlight on lcd displays goes bad first, I've replaced the tube on a few 5+ year old laptops, but these have an LED backlight so it shouldn't wear out, even then they usually have led's soldered to a long strip thats replaceable.

The battery charger shuts off once the battery is charged so its not hurting it by "leaving it on the charger"

17. black743

black743 Active Member

These home docks are nearly impossible to find in the stores and are not even on the website. However, while talking to customer service about my bill, I asked when these would be available. Turns out they do have them in stock and free 2nd day shipping...I even got my 25% discount. So if you want one, just call customer service and you'll have it in two days.

18. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

Same here. I turn mine off at night, it's still too bright with the dim settings. They need to make it even more dimmer.

19. pjjameso

pjjameso New Member

So I must not have the secret decoder ring. Is there a setting where when you place the Droid in the dock that the screen always stays on? Mine turns off after a few seconds.

20. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Settings > Applications > Development > Stay awake

21. BigMace23

BigMace23 Well-Known Member

This is right.. a charge cycle is just when you add up to 100% battery used, so battery isn't an issue and you probably won't need to replace it. As for the screen on all night, idk, but with mine i just press the power button to turn the screen off and only turn it back on when i really want to see the time. the alarm still works too.

22. sjaredh

sjaredh Member

does anyone know a way to make the screen time out when it's connected to the dock and connected to ac power? I can get the screen to time out when its not in the dock... Any thoughts?

Thanks,

23. zeldor

zeldor Member

you can just tap the on/off button on the phone to make
    the screen go blank even in dock mode.
    not ideal but an option.

24. starnesc

starnesc Member

If you are rooted, you are in luck. There is an app called LEDs Hack. It will turn off those lights while docked in the settings.

25. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it does not affect how bright it is ... not one iota (well, it must be at least an iota, but it sure don't seem like it).

You don't have to root to prove this to yourself. Put a piece of black electrical tape over those 4 lights/buttons and you will see the brightness of the room did not change at all. Put the phone in the dock beside you such that you can put your hand on the elec tape but yet not see the phone out of your peripheral vision (make sure it is dark and all lights in the room are off) - now pull off the elec tape. You will notice that the light you can see did not increase. :(